Going to clean up software things I dont need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eulergamma

Beta member
Yeah, I just came to this forum in order to get some help. Does that make me an ungrateful leecher? Oh well, please respond anyway.

I've used up about 80 GB's of my 145GB hard disk drive (half of which are comprised of anime via utorrent). I need to do some serious cleaning out.

So there are some serious things I want to accomplish *somehow*:

1) Delete everything (not including my anime) and re-install Windows. (I have XP Professional)

2) Delete all of the crappy stuff that comes with Windows that I will never use or may not ever know of. (I want to keep programs like MS Paint, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, ...) I want to delete all of the 'help' files, because I've seen or will only see maybe 0.1% in my lifetime. And maybe some other crap that Dell put in, and other useless stuff.

If I can accomplish these two things, then I'll get my computer dual-boot capable with some Linux distro :) (But that's for later)

Just go into add/remove programs and start removing applications that you dont use. Look for Webroot Window Washer as it will clean all temp files and free up alot of space. You dont have to reinstall the O/S to accomplish what your looking for. If you want help with what to remove, take a snap shot of your add/remove programs and post a pic here and Ill tell you what you might not need.

Okay, I knocked out 2 GB using Add/Remove Programs, but I still have some I'm not sure I need.

Do I need these?:

ViewPoint Media Player
ViewPoint Manager
RealArcade
Modem on Hold
Modem Helper
Modem Event Monitor
Microsoft Plus!
Adobe Atmosphere Player
Adobe Download Manager
Adobe Photoshop Album

I don't think the Add/Remove Programs is going to get rid of the 35+ GB of stuff that I don't think I want. Is there another way?

P.S.: I don't think you should assume people know how to screencapture (Ctrl+Print Screen), upload (like ImageShack), or go to Add/Remove Programs. (Run "control")

Remove Viewpoint, Realarcade, Microsoft Plus!, Download manager, and Atmosphere player. Did you find a copy of Window Washer to clean out cache and windows temp files? Youll free up alot with that. If you cant, send me a pm and ill give you access to my FTP server for a bit to download stuff.

You could download CCleaner which is free compare to Window Washer.

Also if you like to start out fresh (reformatting and reinstalling the OS), you'll have to take a look at your recovery options that Dell provides for your computer, some HP and Acer computers let you reformat and reinstall just the OS and the other choose is to install the application that came with your OS. This is a good choice for those who don't want all that crap that are bundle with retail computers.

Good advice is to always make another partition to store your data and files, so you can have two partitions. One for the OS and one for your data and files, so you can wipe the OS partition clean without worrying about your files on the other partition.

Or get another hard drive.

Your gonna have to make more partition anyways if youÂ’re considering Linux.

Google Gparted, it's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom