Gmail as local storage drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

BASSMASTER

Daemon Poster
PC mag had an article on how to do this, tried it out this morning, and it works, pretty neat.

All you do is download the drive shell extention from HERE

Run the .exe, and your basically done, open up "my computer" and you 'll see Gmail as a drive.

Now you can store things in there and it will automatically upload to your email account. All the emails get sent with the subject "GMAILFS", so what you can do is set up a filter on your gmail account that takes all emails with that subject and automatically archives them, that way all the files won't clutter up your inbox.

Thought some people here might be interested.

you use to be able to email programs with it, but google stop allowing setup.exe's or compressed .exe's to be email about 6 months ago.

if you want to email somebody a program file now, you will have to rename the .exe part to something else like winamp.duh instead of winamp.exe

EricB said:
winamp.duh instead of winamp.exe

LMAO :D

The 10mb file thing isn't a huge deal to me. The most important thing for me is pictures, I have a 3 month old daugher and we have tons of pics. I have them on my primary hdd, backed up onto another hdd, burned onto disc, and it's nice to know I can upload a lot of them into gmail as a last means of recovery if needed. That's just my situation though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom