Something in my folder options got screwed up
After a reboot one time, windows explorer is working strangely.
1. The "open" command in folders was missing. ("explore" is but not set as default)
2. The default command for drives (C, D, E...) is "open in command prompt" while "open" and "explore" are lower on the list.
3. The icons for "My Computer", "Control Panel", "Recycle Bin", and "My Network Places" are all the error default icon (like the icon used for unregistered extensions).
4. All autoplay commands on removable storage bring up the command prompt instead of what it should do.
(might be more things but they're not so noticable)
I opened folder options from the control panel.
1. Under "General" tab, the box next to "Open each folder in same window" is checked
2. Under "View" tab, the box next to "Launch folder windows in separate process" is unchecked.
3. Under "File Types" tab, in advanced properties of "File Folder", the "Edit..." and "Remove" buttons and "Browse in same window" checkbox are grayed out and the commands for "open" and "explore" are missing. (is it read only?)
4. Ditto for "Drive" and "Folder"
thinking it would fix things, I added a command for file folder:
Application used: C:\Windows\explore.exe
It mostly worked, but all new folders opened in a new window.
for some reason the "change icon" feature was not working in display properties or folder options (the dialog appeared but the icon just didn't change)
how can I fix this without reinstalling the windows operating system or using system restore?
is there a replacement program for the folder options control panel option?
is there a registry key I can edit to fix this?