Giving a normal user install permissions

I think my first question would be why you want to do this...

typically, that's the type of thing you want to prevent so that the computer doesn't get screwed up completely. Some programs, however, will allow you to install them anyhow if they don't require admin privileges (like Chrome) and write into the user directory. If, however, they have to install into the Program Files directory, they will require admin privileges.

Hi all,

Is it possible to give a normal user permission just to be able to install applications?

If this is for your organization at work, have their network account be a normal user (no admin privileges), and create a local admin account based on policy that's pushed out via the network, that they only need to run at certain times when admin privileges are necessary. That will then prompt them for the admin credentials and they can manually type in the account info. That's how we have it setup at where I work.

There's some disadvantages like no internal network access to the admin account (unless it's on the approved users policy), so you'd have to manually map drive letters with the admin account to get network drive access under it.

Yeah thinking about it that is good, we want to have a part-time IT admin in one of our offices but dont want to give him permissions to the network etc.. so that could work. thanks carnage

Back
Top Bottom