Ghostyfiles and missing backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlleangelique

Baseband Member
This may be quite long...

So. I did have default Windows backup set up on my laptop. About a week ago it stopped working - it would flicker up briefly and then disappear, with nothing backed up. I tried setting up another backup, but it just came back with a litany of errors - mostly in temp folders and things.

This left me with about 1Gb, and what needed backing up was about 4Gb, so I tried deleting the previous backups (just by clicking on the files and pressing delete - I'm not sure if there's a more "proper" way to do it), and they disappeared, but the 8Gb they said they took up didn't return.

Wondering what had happened to all that disk space, I downloaded Treesize, which told me there were *727Gb* in my Temp folder (C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp). Clearly I don't have a terrabyte-size hard drive, but I opened up Disk Cleanup, and sure enough it said there was all that to delete - but when I tried to tell it to delete it, it didn't seem to make any difference.

When I looked further at the Treesize thing, it said that the 727Gb was divided into three subfolders of the above, called WER8dc6.dir00, WER82b3.dir00 and WER318a.dir00. When I look into one of these folders, it says (e.g.) "318,000Mb [Files]", then lots of folders with exclamation marks on, each marked as 0mb, and each with "[The system cannot find the path specified.!]" next to it.

And the oddest thing about these folders? The names are taken straight out of a Word document I've had open for days and been periodically adding to - so where in the word document I've written things like "exciting lyrics", it's come up with folders called "c.ting ly.ric".

What on earth is going on? Most importantly, I want the hard disk space back and to be able to backup properly...

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom