Ghosting windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just spoke with a rep from Symantec and they told me the date for that software is going to be on Nov 9th

I really think you should utilize an option on the table that is not only free, but based on numerous "official comparative reviews" an option that scored higher than Ghost itself.

What do you have to lose? If you try it and it isn't your thing, then bust out the credit card and order up Ghost. But considering the situation at hand, you have an opportunity to save a few bucks. I'd take it.

Well your boss is going to be in for a big surprise.

Norton Ghost 10.0 system requirements

That is for Ghost 2003.

System Backup Restore - PC Backup Software | Norton Ghost 14.0

This is for the most recent version that they have. Win7 is not supported even by the latest version. If the latest version doesnt support it, then no way a version 6 years old will. Especially when that build doesnt even support Vista. Win7 has even more code changes from XP than Vista does.

So your boss is going to be in for a rude awakening when he finally figures out that nothing can be done to get it to work. It has not worked at all throughout the Beta and it will not work for the final. The Beta was more close to Vista than it is now and the Beta didnt support that build.

So he can say it is a driver or whatever he wants. The truth is that it wont work. It isnt supported.

yeah i told him about that and as of right now we have our lic good until aug 2010 so i guess we are going to get the upgrade when it comes out

I really think you should utilize an option on the table that is not only free, but based on numerous "official comparative reviews" an option that scored higher than Ghost itself.

What do you have to lose? If you try it and it isn't your thing, then bust out the credit card and order up Ghost. But considering the situation at hand, you have an opportunity to save a few bucks. I'd take it.

hey its not me spending the money its my job i could care less. i showed him both tools and he didn't want to be bothered with it. "he has no time" for stuff like that. and i don't want to touch his servers because those are his babys i just do the work on them not the installs and upgrades, that is ALL him i do everything else in the building but play with programs and installs on the server. so he doesn't want to do it, i know for sure i am not going to touch his prize tools (the servers)

hey its not me spending the money its my job i could care less. i showed him both tools and he didn't want to be bothered with it. "he has no time" for stuff like that. and i don't want to touch his servers because those are his babys i just do the work on them not the installs and upgrades, that is ALL him i do everything else in the building but play with programs and installs on the server. so he doesn't want to do it, i know for sure i am not going to touch his prize tools (the servers)

I spent a total of 3 hours when I first gave it a shot. In that 3 hours I installed Ubuntu, installed FOG, read up what documentation I could about FOG, and uploaded/deployed a test image to a guinea pig computer with success. I know November 9th isn't far away, but you really could be imaging those machines... tomorrow... if you buckled down and read up on it.

You don't need a big powerhouse server to run FOG. You just need a computer with a gigabit ethernet port. I have 2 FOG "servers". A Pentium 4 3.0ghz 1gb RAM desktop with a gigabit port and a dual core Dell laptop with a gigabit port.

When I first started messing with FOG, I just used my work laptop and dual booted Ubuntu/XP, and set up FOG within Ubuntu. I also dug up a 24 port gigabit switch that was sitting unused on the shelf. That way I was able to test out FOG on my own hardware without interfering with anybody else's stuff (servers, etc).

That was around April when I announced during a meeting I had been using free imaging software for the last month with great success. That's when the ball was dropped on me and I was told about us needing to re-image 700 laptops we already had in house, along with having to image 1,000 new PCs that would be arriving in July. But hey, we made great time and got the job done. Without it, we wouldn't have been ready for the start of school. But luckily - we were.

It's your call. Each situation is unique and requires different tools to get the job done. But based on the great success I had with a free product like FOG, I can't help but to hark on the fact that it's well worth a shot trying out.

If your boss wants no part of it, I hate to sound like an *** about it - but it's his loss.

Good luck with whatever you try!

Keep in mind that when I say ghost 2003 I am not referring to installing it on win7 or vista because it will not install on either. I am referring to using it as a boot disk and using the GUI to copy a disk much like clonzilla not how you would usually use ghost.

In this situation the OS does not care what OS is installed.

I prefer clonzilla but ran into one hard drive that it would not copy when the 2003 boot disk would.

When I get another hard drive I will see if I can boot off a copy of my win7 install.

Again it will not install on vista or win7. This is using the dos gui hidden on the install disk when booting from the disk.

then the server reads that the imaging has failed. We are running Ghost version 11.5. anyone have any advice for me??

I am a long time user of Ghost. I have found that ghost is rather OS dependant. Like you need version 14 just to do Vista.
Otherwise, you might be able to make an image file, but don't expect that image file to give you a bootable OS driver afterwards.

With Ghost and Windows 7, I will be waiting for Ghost Vers 15.
Or start looking around for some other drive imaging software that will support Win 7. However i would not expect anything to come out until at least early next year.

I can not say that I have been impressed with Ghost Version 10 onwards. They took a rather simple program and added a lot of bloatware that just seems to get in the way. Plus there is a lot of other sort comings which have made me thing that i could be better off with a different software package instead.

who says it doesn't support it ;) i spent all day working on it today and finally its running :) lets see what happens when i come back monday morning is the question :)

who says it doesn't support it ;) i spent all day working on it today and finally its running :) lets see what happens when i come back monday morning is the question :)
How about the creators of the product? Just cause you forced it to work doesnt mean a thing. I have gotten several things to install but once you try to run them, they crash and burn. A couple times it has forced a reinstall.

Have you tried to create the image by booting the machine off a boot disk? I mean this should get you past any incompatabilities. Unless there is a reason you need the client installed on the machine. How are you imaging PCs today?

How about the creators of the product? Just cause you forced it to work doesnt mean a thing. I have gotten several things to install but once you try to run them, they crash and burn. A couple times it has forced a reinstall.

Very true. Seen that happen a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom