ghosting/reinstalling OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordo_99

Daemon Poster
well...I'm a networking student and I know I'll find these answers out sooner or later, but I'd rather know now.

So...I do a clean install of XP Pro every 3-4 months on my (1) PC. Then I go through a long, annoying process of re-downloading updates, re-configuring XP to my liking and reinstall about 15 programs (I have all the exe on a seperate drive). It usually takes about 3-4 hours at least (just a guess). Also, if it matters, I do the clean install for performance reasons and possibly trojans, spyware, malware...etc (no, i don't look up pr0n on this PC)

I talked to my prof about it and he said ghosting would be the post painless process but when I installed a ghosting software it just looked like java code to me.

1.) is ghosting difficult and/or worth the time to learn it now instead of waiting until I take a course involving it?

2.) what other alternatives can you guys think of aside from just doing everything manually?

I was also thinking about trying to install all my programs/games on a seperate partition and then importing the registery files, but my prof told me that wouldn't work if I did a clean install.

3.)Any alternatives similar to that which might work?

**edit**

Another idea I've had was to create a backup of the entire partition (OS, programs, updates...everything) and then instead of doinga clean install, just reverting to the backup. Is that a decent option as well?

Moved to Windows. This isnt a network issue.

1. No Ghost or Acronis True Image are not that hard to use and make a image with.

2. Get your system setup how you want then make a Image with Ghost or Acronis. I have at least 50 old DVD's lying around with old images on them.

3. No. There is more than just the Registry files you would be missing. You would also miss the folders that are created in teh App Data folder which is hidden. Not to mention the other folders that can be created by the install. Not everything is in the Registry. There are files hidden elsewhere on the system that are needed to run the software.

4. Depends on how you would go about restoring the backup if you cant get into Windows. If you need Windows to restore the backup would be pointless. At least with Ghost and Acronis you can create the backup image on a external drive and then createa bootable CD or DVD to install that image.

**edit**

Another idea I've had was to create a backup of the entire partition (OS, programs, updates...everything) and then instead of doinga clean install, just reverting to the backup. Is that a decent option as well?

I use Acronis to image my C: drive to external USB storage often. I have images dating back several months. So I'll never have to reinstall Vista ever again. I also use a utility to back up my registry daily. I don't trust or use system restore points or repair installs. I keep my data stores on a different drive. So when I restore an image I can pick up right where I left off.

This works well for laptops because the hardware rarely ever changes after a Vista install. As for desktops imaging will work if the hardware doesn't change. For instance, I never had the opportunity to restore an image after replacing a video card that requires a totally different set of drivers.

First off, thanks for moving it for me and responding promptly guys.

3. No. There is more than just the Registry files you would be missing. You would also miss the folders that are created in teh App Data folder which is hidden. Not to mention the other folders that can be created by the install. Not everything is in the Registry. There are files hidden elsewhere on the system that are needed to run the software.

I knew about the App Data folder (with hidden progam folders/files...etc)...so i'd still back that up, but that doesn't really matter if I install from an image.

For instance, I never had the opportunity to restore an image after replacing a video card that requires a totally different set of drivers.

couldn't you just keep the old video card installed, then load up the image, then change the drivers/video card and finally make a new image...I'm not at all experienced with Acronis, but it sounds like it'd work to me.

Anyways, you guys think I should use Acronis though? or another program?

couldn't you just keep the old video card installed, then load up the image, then change the drivers/video card and finally make a new image...I'm not at all experienced with Acronis, but it sounds like it'd work to me.

Anyways, you guys think I should use Acronis though? or another program?

I was talking about hardware failure. I suppose one could restore an image and then boot into safe mode to clean out the old driver and then install the new driver.

I don't know about other programs. But Acronis will image a live operating system. There's no need to stop what you're doing while a backup is being done in the background.

What are you doing on the computer that causes malware infections several times a year?? If you're testing a lot of different software, I'd suggest a virtual system.

He said possible trojans. He said he reinstalls that often for performance more than anything. I used to be that way as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom