Ghosting MS Office and other stuff - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Ghosting MS Office and other stuff

Hi there,

I am about to buy a new computer and the process of transferring all my data is terrifying to me.

When I upgraded my last HD, the computer tech ghosted it so everything seemed pretty much unchanged on the new HD. I didn't have Office on it then, so I am wondering if this will work properly using Norton Ghost 10.0.

I don't have the Office discs which is why I am looking at ghosting.

Can you ghost parts of the old HD or do you have to do the whole thing?

I am a pretty competent computer user, but by no means an expert. Can someone like me handle such a task?

Thanks
Simone

Old 03-22-2006, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics

i would try to find someone with an office disk. The install modifies the registry among other things. So unless you knew which keys to modify, you're SOL.

or install www.openoffice.org

Old 03-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyX

Yes with your new pc comes new hardware that the windows install on you old pc is not setup to handle, You can install the old harddrive in your new pc as a backup and get your files off it but you will need the office install disks to reinstall office and maybe many other apps you have, sorry..
Old 03-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Ghosting your machine, if it's win2k or XP shouldn't be that much of a problem. I do it all the time. The only problem you might run into is if office was installed to a different drive, or any program for that matter. You need to have a physical setup simular to your old machine. IE, C drive, not another letter...

When you boot up, you will have a bunch of new hardware found, and might need to reactivate (XP only). Best thing to do, is uninstall all your device drivers before ghosting, and then capture the machine, so that there are not old drivers trying to run on the new machine. Then update the drivers. You shouldn't have too many problems with this. It's not the best way, but it works.

Good luck to you.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

Easy way? Clicky Clicky
Old 03-23-2006, 04:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bradybnmci
Easy way? Clicky Clicky
I CAN UNDERSTAND THE CLICKY, BUT NOT CLICKY CLICKY. YOU ARE NOT SO TRICKY TRICKY
Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the advice! After reading all this, I emailed my friend who gave me a copy last time and asked them to mail it. I got an email back saying she was wussing out about sending pirated software (because she's sending it from overseas). The next email was from another friend to whom I mentioned I was getting a new PC. Her husband's company just got bought by Microsoft and she said she can get me anything I want for ZIP!

So, I guess that solves that problem!

Thanks again for the advice. I'm still going to ghost other stuff, so thanks for the tip about the it needing to go to a drive of the same letter.

Simone
Old 03-24-2006, 02:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Ghosting MS Office and other stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Tikidoll
Hi there,

I am about to buy a new computer and the process of transferring all my data is terrifying to me.

When I upgraded my last HD, the computer tech ghosted it so everything seemed pretty much unchanged on the new HD. I didn't have Office on it then, so I am wondering if this will work properly using Norton Ghost 10.0.

I don't have the Office discs which is why I am looking at ghosting.

Can you ghost parts of the old HD or do you have to do the whole thing?

I am a pretty competent computer user, but by no means an expert. Can someone like me handle such a task?

Thanks
Simone
WORDPAD AND GOOGLE IS ALL YOU NEED

Closed Thread