ghost and domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
I don't know if it's just ghost or all imaging programs but why do I have to unjoin a computer from the domain before creating an image, just wondering because it's annoying to have to re-join it when you push the image down, is there a batch or script I could run on startup to do it automatically?

well what is happening? what is telling you to do that? there is no need for it unless you are not sysprep'ing the machine

it says that in the image create task, one time i didn't do it and it killed the DNS server, i think..so to be on the safe side i made sure to remove it since and havent had problems

Warez Monster said:
well what is happening? what is telling you to do that? there is no need for it unless you are not sysprep'ing the machine

It sounds like he is not sysprep'ing it thus the extra step. Now this is how I do it others may have differnt methods, but to answer your question YES YES YES absolutely you MUST ALWAYS join the domain after the image is deployed. Not sure how hardcore you want me to get into it, but reason you have to do this is because you cant have the same common items (GUID, Computer Name etc etc) on the same network. You will just cause chaos and most likely cause problems for those unlucky individuals who happen to have that same network name that the ghost image was made from.

First make an answer file using the setup manager tool and select the "sysprep install" option as this will make one to answer the mini setup questions that comes up after you sysprep a PC and it is first booted. Here you can also fill in the info to automate the "joining domain" problem you are facing. It will create the sysprep.inf answer file you need on the pc you are imaging in the sysprep folder on the C:\

Are you familar with sysprep and the needed folder structure on the C:\ ? I will assume so :)

Then prepare your image computer with all apps, drivers, updates..yadda yadda..then after your all done ready to make the image, run the sysprep tool on the machine you will be taking an image of. This will strip it of all its unique items.

That should do it! Now when you restore that image to a computer or multiple computers it will fill in the info for you while mainting unique characteristics. Let me know if you get stuck I really like dealing with these types of things..its sad I know..lol.

I didnt think he was. If you do happen to have several of the same computer names on the same network, just join the to a workgroup, rename the pc, then add them back to the domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom