Getting Windows 7 on something other than a DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah upgrades can be done easily. But M$ suggests to do a fresh install. I have seen way to many people that are having issues with the upgrade process and Windows 7 beta.

Yeah there are plenty of direct links in the Public Download thread.

zmatt and them are right. You can start the Windows install from a Mounted drive. It will work.

You start the install, it copies the files to your drive and gets some of the install done before it restarts and then once it does you will see the boot menu will have the version of Windows you are installing.

The only thing this will do, is cause your Windows install to be on your next available drive letter. It will not install to C:\ cause you are starting the install from within Windows.

Mounting a ISO and starting the install WILL work. If you are very picky about Windows being installed fresh and on the C:\ Drive is where you will run into trouble with this method.

Would it not give you the choice of what drive the OS is to be installed on?
what ever your free drive that you have allocated for your second OS would be that drive letter..? no? lol it works that way for me..

But yeah I didn't think it would be possible to install an OS off a Virtual drive.

Thanks guys, I love learning new things with out breaking them ;)

mount the iso while you are in windows, copy the contents to a flash drive. download you a Linux live or bart pe cd. boot for it. open a file explorer. hit the setup.exe of windows 7 on the flash drive

Would it not give you the choice of what drive the OS is to be installed on?
what ever your free drive that you have allocated for your second OS would be that drive letter..? no? lol it works that way for me..

But yeah I didn't think it would be possible to install an OS off a Virtual drive.

Thanks guys, I love learning new things with out breaking them ;)

No. You get to choose the drive and the partition. You do not get to choose the drive letter. So while it may look like the Q:\ drive in XP it will be the D:\ Drive in Windows 7 and XP will be the J:\.

These are just examples. They are not accurate.

If you boot directly from the DVD you can have Windows Vista be the C:\ Drive as well as Windows 7 be seen as the C:\ drive when you boot into each repectively.

Point of this thread was to put it on a flash drive rather than on a DVD (OP said they did not have any DVDs).

Yes it just seemed like quite a bit to go through verses going to the drug store and picking up a 6 pack of DVD's if you see the post above the one that you pointed out.

I have cleaned the thread. We all miss read things at times. No need to get nasty over a simple statement.

Yes it just seemed like quite a bit to go through verses going to the drug store and picking up a 6 pack of DVD's if you see the post above the one that you pointed out.

Which is true, but what if he doesn't have a DVD burner (slim on a tech forum, but hey you never know). Flash drive would still work, even though it takes some work getting to do what you want it to do.

Which is true, but what if he doesn't have a DVD burner (slim on a tech forum, but hey you never know). Flash drive would still work, even though it takes some work getting to do what you want it to do.

Yes multiple options is always cool, and with the weather we're having here I wouldn't want to go up to the store either ;) but from his post it sounded like he didn't have any on hand, not that it was something he was unable to do.

More options the better as we are moving away from CD's and DVD's as main stream media, one day the OS install will probably come on USB sticks.

and this post will serve as a Relic in a museum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom