Getting Windows 7 on something other than a DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is just what the OP is asking there. How to install without a dvd drive available for seeing the iso image burned to disk.

VMWare and Virtual Clone Drive mentioned earlier are two totally different things there. VMWare is used for running a second OS on a virtual machine while the VCD utility is for mounting an image on a virtual drive similar to how DOSBox works by mounting a virtual dos drive.

Mak is fully aware of this, I have tried to talk him into using it as a method for his relentless beta testing before to no avail for various reasons, so please try an not treat him like a idiot, or I will be forced to treat you like one.

DOS box although I am sketchy about it's full inerworkings is a implementation of the FreeDOS system in a virtual machine just dedicated to DOS. If I am worng about the technical details of DOSbox I am sorry but I have always ran DOS as a VM and never had a need to use it.

I think that is just what the OP is asking there. How to install without a dvd drive available for seeing the iso image burned to disk.

VMWare and Virtual Clone Drive mentioned earlier are two totally different things there. VMWare is used for running a second OS on a virtual machine while the VCD utility is for mounting an image on a virtual drive similar to how DOSBox works by mounting a virtual dos drive.

Really????:eek::eek:

Thank you so much for clearing that up. Now show me where the OP or anyone in this thread asked for any information about VMWare or DOS.

Wait you cant cause no one did. So why did you post it? That was my point. You went off topic for no reason. Now quit with the attitude.

I really want to try it out also but don't have any DVDs myself

Having trouble finding a good site to DL it anyway, and I would have to make an ISO image as well :/

You cant run a windows install from an emulated environment, it's common sense, when you install windows, it has to install from a logical environment' ie, CD,DVD or Flash drive an emulation would not be seen when it is rebooting. so you have to burn the image onto something logical otherwise you would be installing windows within windows and I'm not even sure that can be done in a VM environment.

You can start the Windows install process but after boot during install it would give error's "can't find file(s)"

Having trouble finding a good site to DL it anyway, and I would have to make an ISO image as well :/

Get it from the M$ website...? Check the Win 7 threads that are stickied...there's download links in there somewhere.

You download the ISO, you don't make an ISO.

Yeah there are plenty of direct links in the Public Download thread.
You cant run a windows install from an emulated environment, it's common sense, when you install windows, it has to install from a logical environment' ie, CD,DVD or Flash drive an emulation would not be seen when it is rebooting. so you have to burn the image onto something logical otherwise you would be installing windows within windows and I'm not even sure that can be done in a VM environment.

You can start the Windows install process but after boot during install it would give error's "can't find file(s)"

zmatt and them are right. You can start the Windows install from a Mounted drive. It will work.

You start the install, it copies the files to your drive and gets some of the install done before it restarts and then once it does you will see the boot menu will have the version of Windows you are installing.

The only thing this will do, is cause your Windows install to be on your next available drive letter. It will not install to C:\ cause you are starting the install from within Windows.

Mounting a ISO and starting the install WILL work. If you are very picky about Windows being installed fresh and on the C:\ Drive is where you will run into trouble with this method.

Yeah doing a fresh install onto the c drive will cause the image to become unmounted, either daemon tools, the image or both will be overwritten in the process. That is very counter productive,needless to say.

Yes that is correct zmatt. That is why i made sure to state it cause some people dont realize that you can use this method if you are not OCD about what driver letter your Windows install is. ;)

Kinda like me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom