Getting Rid of Uneeded Profiles in AD

Doberz

Solid State Member
I'm still very new to Active Directory, so I apologize if this question has an obvious answer but I was unable to find anything about it on google.

I'm new at my job and I don't have full access to the servers just yet. But my boss wants me to delete some uneeded profiles for my first task. The second profiles show up as .v2, which he says means they represent the user using a different version of Windows. He wants me to remove the XP profiles for the users that are now running Windows 7 and 8.

Is there an easy way to see what users are now using Win 7/8 so I know for sure which profiles to delete? Are the V2 profiles the ones that represent Win 7/8? So are the profiles with no .v2 extension the ones I should be looking into deleting?

My steps, considering I can't look at the server right now and only had a glimpse at it, are as follows. I feel these might be adding more work then needed. But I really want to be able to sit down in front of him and just get it done, lol

1. Look through the computers on the network and see which version Windows the PC is running.
2. Look at Users to see which computer each User is using.
3. Figure out how to use this information to delete the unneeded profiles.

The V2 profiles are the ones associated with Windows Vista and above
The ones without the V2 should be XP and below

But if you want to check what OS a user has, then this should already be documented at your organisation, if it is not then suggest that it needs to be done.
Any company should be documenting the following, as a minimum.

Each computer should have it's own asset number
Each asset should have an inventory of hardware and the operating system image used
Each asset should be assigned to a user (or department)

when you have this documented on a system you should then be see which systems are XP and which ones are 7/8, and also who that system is assigned to.

And with this information you will know who is using a windows 7/8 machine and know that you can delete their old profile.

Thank you for the info. I talked with him today at work and he said there is currently no solid documentation on what OS' the users are using. Looks like this will be up to me! He has me doing some other stuff first, creating users, groups, .bat files, etc. Then when I'm more comfortable with AD, I will map out the documentation and have a layout of the PC's. Then I will be able to delete the uneeded profiles.

But again, thank you! Your definition of the V2 files really helps me out.

EMCO Network inventory enterprise works great. install and enumerate the lan. It will give the computer name hardware, software, printer user logged on,share, anything you could possible need for the system and fast. I used it at work to create a list for myself.

Back
Top Bottom