Getting rid of multiple XP installs

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobit94

Solid State Member
I recently reinstalled XP on my computer and had some problems. As a result it appears I have three different installations (evidenced by the screen on boot that allows me to choose one). Only one of them will boot up.

What I want to do is remove the other two. Also the working one does not recognize my settings and programs. Is there a way to switch them over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

go to start, run then type: C:\boot.ini

it should look like this:

[boot loader]
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP (and here you put whether its Pro or Home)"

I am not sure exactly what I am supposed to do. Here is what my boot.ini says:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=signature(66e566e5)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
signature(66e566e5)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
signature(66e566e5)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS1="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Am I supposed to delete one of the entries?

And if so will it affect the settings and programs?

One more question - When my computer boots up it gives me the option of which XP to run. Only the last one on the list works. The other two come up with an error that refers to ARC firmware that cannot generate HALs name. Is this still a good option??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom