Getting my PC back up to speed (it has become slow lately)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auslogics Boostspeed is good, it does tons to speed up your pc

You can download a free trial Here

Then if you like it you can buy the full copy.....
Even if you don't want to buy, use it once on the trial and you will notice the difference

That is also Vista compatible as well. The screen here shows the main options available and just what it does.

Hello again. To CarnageX. I do do backups and set restore points, but just not having to use them is such a kick. Why take a chance on the registry cleaner not knocking something essential out if you don't have to? It did it to me once. Just once. NO more.

Hello again. To CarnageX. I do do backups and set restore points, but just not having to use them is such a kick. Why take a chance on the registry cleaner not knocking something essential out if you don't have to? It did it to me once. Just once. NO more.

Backing up/restoring wasn't what I meant. I meant CCleaner asks if you would like to make a backup of the registry entries you're about to remove, which you should do in case you have problems. I've used CCleaner for quite a while, and haven't had any trouble on the hundred-or-so machines I've used it on. To each his own, I suppose.

I tested the cleaner in CCleaner side by side with RegCleaner and the sadly much needed and far more reliable as well as thorough Eusing registry cleaner. Guess which one came out on top every stinking time?

Eusing being newer then RegCleaner obviously and RegCleaner blew off CCleaner anyways as a far more reliable basic tool with none of it's own registry entries created. That when coming with an installer and not the stand alone simply creates a desktop shortcut. CCleaner bottomed out there with it's cleaner being nothing more then extra eye candy and not an effective registry tool.

Registry cleaners are not as necessary as you guys are making them out to be. Registrys are hooked to the icons and executable files that we use to run our applications. If you use a uninstaller (Revo Uninstaller) or even just the Add/Remove programs those Registry files will either be

A.) removed in the case of Revo Uninstaller or
b.) the registry files will just sit there unused.

No it will not affect your performance so much that it slows you down. Why? Well read my first sentence. They are hooked to exe files which you no longer would have or use.

Aside from that the Registry can have entries on there that are not used. I have had year old installs that i never touched the registry on and it still ran link new. As long as you keep it defragged and free of spyware/malwareand viruses there isnt a need for Registry Cleaners. They are not mandatory and can actually cause more damage then good.

Take for example the AVG issues as of late. They are removing core Windows files. How do you know that these registry cleaners are not flagging a Registry entry as one that needs to be removed? You dont unless you know every registry file that is hooked into a application install.

Registry cleaners can cause more harm to a user than good. Do not suggest them unless the people know EXACTLY what they are doing. If not say CCleaner since it searches for abandoned Regitry entries which are the only ones you should delete.

As a rule I have them on while only once over a lengthy period of time use one for cleanup only. But if I know one program is gone I will go right into the registry to locate and remove anything left behind before buying Regcure or Registry Mechanic by a long shot.

One of the drawbacks with RegCleaner while never seeing any problems with the registry cleanup option found in tools is that it opens right up to a main window displaying the main keys for all non MS programs installed. The only time that is good is when a new unknown bug(like going to tvguide.com and seeing a tvguide icon appear on the IE address bar) I'll look at the new entry seen right at the top to see a strange name and check it off and press the remove button.
(Nothing like seeing "swearware" as a new item there and knowing who put it there! :mad: Grrr...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom