Getting multipal network drives maped

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAWhitney

Beta member
I work in a small mixed Windows inviroment. We have WIN 98 thru to XP Pro all running Office 97 or Office 2000.
The secnario is that when a user opens a new document in Word or Excel 4 network drives get double mapped with Word and 3 network drives with Excel. The workgroup templates is pointing to a mapping on there network. This is not the case for all users thou. It is only a hand full and its all the time for some and random for others.
Any sugestions?

It's kinda hard to tell from your decription exactly what is wrong and it is really best if you see the problem yourself, but I may have a solution. This may not work for your situation because of other possible factors. You need to be extremely careful when doing this, but back up all the information from all users that you have. The proceed to unmap all the network drives. The remap the drives. After this is done make sure that all users are saving to the appropriate mapped drives. Once again be very careful and see if you cannot solve the problems other ways. If you have a Network Administrator alert him of the situation and he should be able to clear you all up.

are these drives mapped though a login script or are they hand mapped? Also, when you say double mapped, are you refering to the paths are assigned to more then 1 drive letter or somthing else?

sounds like windows is not cleaning up the list. Try this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints

and add this value

_NoWindowMappedDrive

Some more info
Last friday i tried a couple more things

the computer i tried all my testing on is a Win NT 4 workstation
running office 97 sr2b

the drives are maped with a login script
the script first unmaps all drives then remaps the drives.

Lets say that i have 4 mapped drives and they are assinged to letters N, P, S, T and the S drive is the drive that the templates that the whole office uses reside on.
When I open Word on this computer (the one i did my testing on)and then click FILE and select NEW then right click on the START button and select EXPLORE the mapping of the S drive will appear in D, E, F, and some times G.
That is the problem in a nut shell.

test 1) if i remove the workgroup templates that is curently mapped to a share point on the network will the network drive remap itself 3 times result no restored to origanal configuration
test 2) if i configure all drive to be in Alphabetical order will the drives map result yes restored to old map scema
test 3) out of desperation I removed the FindFast feature
I had read an Microsoft Kbase article that lead me to belive it could be the calprate

I will try Killians sugestion and post the results

Oh i am the Admin in training for the site

Hmm, then I dont think that registry string is going to help either, then. I'll try and think of something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom