Getting the Blue Screen Of Death
I get the blue screen of death when I am viewing a folder that contains a lot of pictures, while viewing in thumbnails.
It says something like the error occurred in i81xdnt5.dll and the failure was page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
The file is located in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
It's version number is 22.214.171.12498
And the file's description is "Controller Hub for Intel Graphics Driver"
I can view any folder in any view other than thumbnail mode. But it's when I view a folder in thumbnail mode and begin scrolling is when I get the BSOD!
I had some ideas to remedy the problem and I would test each remedy out. I would then go view a folder with many images in thumbnail mode and it'd give me the BSOD when I started scrolling.
Here are some things I've already tried.
1. Doing a proper shutdown/reboot.
2. setting the system to have no page file.
3. Resetting the page file to it's previous size (381 MB w/ 256 actual ram)
4. Deleting the thumbnail file (thumbnail.db) inside of a folder, closing the folder, reopening it and viewing it in thumbnail mode again.
5. Changing my current monitor display from 800x600 16bit to its highest resolution, and at 24bit (deepest bit depth).
6. running Scan Disk to check for errors.
Normally when I encounter a problem like this, I go through a list of what changes I've made to the computer and begin undoing them to see if that fixes the problem.
The last thing I installed was updating Yahoo messenger, AIM messenger, and MSN messenger. I suppose I could try uninstalling them, but I really don't suspect they're the cause.
I haven't tried running Registry Mechanic yet because while it may solve the problem, it is liable to cause another problem.
HP Pavilion 7920
901MHz Intel processor, 256MB SDRAM,
30GB & 250GB IDE Hard Drives (NTFS)
Audio= Intel 82801AA AC\'97 Audio Controller
Video= Intel 82810 Graphics Controller
OS= WinXP Pro / SP3 (32 bit)