Getting Back OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy08

Beta member
Hi, I recently bought a HP s3040 (specs here) with Vista preinstalled. I myself not wanting to have XP, not Vista, formatted the Hard Drive and installed XP using a previously used installation disk but a new activation code. Unfortunately the installation went wrong and now i'm stuck with a brand new PC that I cant use =/ All the activation stickers for Vista are still intact on the side of the PC so theoretically could I reinstall Vista using these codes? and how would I go about reclaiming all the drivers and software etc that came with the PC? Or would it be easier to take it to PC World and ask them to restore it or whatever?

Many thanks =]
Tom

Hello,

What disc did you use to try and install Windows XP on your new computer? Was it a retail version, or customised recovery discs / OEM discs for a previous computer? Also, what specifically went wrong in the installation process?

In most cases, you won't be able to successfully install an OS on a new different computer using customised recovery discs / setup discs intended for use on a previous, specific computer.

As for re-installing Windows Vista, you'll only be able to do this if you have a set of recovery discs (either provided by the manufacturer, or more likely, having had to burn a set of recovery discs yourself), or if you have a Windows Vista setup disc.

...Obviously, if you didn't burn a set of recovery discs prior to formatting, and they were not already provided by HP, then you'll need to get hold of the discs (which can be obtained from the manufacturer at a fee) or get hold of a Windows Vista setup disc. Alternatively, you could pay a techy to this for you.

Hopefully you left the recovery partition intact (on hp's its normally F10 or F11) you will see the option for "system recovery" or something close to that it will give you some options to recover your computer do a full destructive recovery to get your OS back.

If you cant get the recovery partition to boot you will have to get a copy of vista an install it an then download an install the drivers from HP's web page.

Give customer support a call, and have them ship you a Vista disc, then simply install that.

You could take it to PC world, but they'd no doubt charge you.

They are a rip off, an for such a easy DIY job its not worth it.

HP will charge him the same price as if he was buying a new key not worth it for the disk alone. Just Get your hands on a Vista Disk an use your key from the side of your case (Vista unlike XP identifies key to version an installs the correct one for your key).

Give customer support a call, and have them ship you a Vista disc, then simply install that.

You could take it to PC world, but they'd no doubt charge you.

Why get a disc for $20 or more? The Recovery partition can be botted into with F11 or F12 and you can restore it to factory defaults with that. Not to mention you can burn yourself a set of discs from that partition for free.

Plus in many places PC World has gone under. They may be local to you but not for everyone. Have to remember not everyone has a local shop like that. Many people only have places like Geek Squad which will charge you over $100 to do a OS install. Definately not worth that kinda money.

It depends on where he is from, if he is from the UK, PC world can be found easily.

If the Machine is still under warranty, I believe they'd repair it free of charge.

Yes but then you lose the PC for 3 weeks or more. Doing it my way you can be back up and running in about 2 hours.

Plus you can not assume people are always from the UK. We have people all over the world here. Better to jsut say your local PC Shop than give a shop name.

No they won't they only cover hardware an don't cover OS back grading or like users formatting a system I used to deal with the tech guys on a regular basis when i worked for DSGi i still have to fix a mess of there's quite often including writing a official letter saying a PC was DOA.

Tech Guys = Uneducated people who have little knowledge of technical computing an a OS reinstall is the ultimate fix all even for a dieing hard drive.

Woah thanks for all the advice so quickly =]

Ok ill try to address everything asked -

a) I installed XP using a brand new XP Disk with a brand new code that I had lying around unused, I bought it a while back and never used it

b) As many of you seem not to be familiar with PC world, they generally have tech guys on site, as well as being a PC store, who will fix your pc within a couple of days without having to send it off or take it anywhere else, I've had to use them several times before!

c) As for the recovery partition, I believe it is non - existent as I ran a complete entire hard drive format, a "kill disk" program so I could start from a blank canvas if you will.

So my options seem to be -

i) Obtain a set of recovery disks from HP
ii) Order or obtain a Vista disk, use the codes on the side of the machine, then install drivers etc from HP (time consuming)
iii) Enquire as to whether I can obtain another PC or hard drive under warranty via HP or PC shop

Am I right in these options? Or is there anything else anyone can think of?
Again many thanks for you quick responses =D
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom