Generic Host Process Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

code28

Baseband Member
I'm getting the following error each time I try to update my Windows OS:

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience"

Error Signature:
szAppName : SVCHOST.EXE szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2180
szModName : KERNEL32.DLL szModVer : 5.1.2600.2180 offset : 0000a72b

Error Report Contents:
C:\DOCUME~1\Luke\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0024.dir00\SVCHOST.EXE.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Luke\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0024.dir00\appcompat.txt

I get this same exact error if I try to update my Windows OS, Windows Defender or update my IE to the new 7 series.

Any thoughts?

Have you may any changes before this error occur, have you install any software or hardware, have you may any attempt to scan for any malware infections?

As far as changes go.. nothing that I can recall specifically; I didn't receive the error until I attempted a Windows update 1-2 months ago.. so I have no idea really..

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I haven't installed any new hardware in just about a year; software wise.. nothing recent as of this error..

I did have a round with a Trojan virus (zlob.gen) a few months back that I am not convinced was ever fully eradicated from my system (I still get a pop-up warning about Trojan.zlob from NOD32 anti-virus when I do an online scan over at TrendMicro)

What is odd however, is that even when I was fighting to get this virus off my system, I was still able to update my Windows OS and Defender programs.. but now all of a sudden, I can't.

Thanks for any and all help you guys can provide.

I'm not sure if that Trojan.Zlob could have done anything to your system that would prevent it from updating itself. But I have read that it can leave you vulnerable to other threats like the blaster worm, that error message is typically associated with the blaster worm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom