Fullscreen losing focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneJester17

In Runtime
Hey everyone!

I have an annoying quirk I'm hoping you peeps can help with.

I have two monitors set up, one of which is a 15 inch LCD i got for free. Anyway, my only use for this monitor is instant messaging. My issue is, if I'm playing a game or anything, every time something happens in my IM client (miranda), my game exits full screen. I've searched through Miranda's options and find nothing to make it not steal focus.

Anyone know anything I can do to make full screen apps not lose focus? I've read about a program called "TweakUI" but unfortunately it doesn't open on Win7 64 bit. Thanks all!

My post may be invalid but maybe it's just happening because you got the two monitors up? You can try the following:

1. Use another IM
2. Check the settings for your display and see if there's any settings relating to that.

Also why don't you play game on 1 monitor and just use the other for IM (or was that implied when you said "my only use for this monitor is instant messaging") ?

Not sure what's the issue, so just posting my suggestions :(.

Edit: From the looks of things, do you use AVG 9.0? If yes, this can be the cause. - Found multiple hits relating to AVG 9.0 and "losing focus" issue.

The other monitor is just for IM. And I use Miranda because it's the only one I found that lets me edit ever bit of the interdace. I needed to be able to set the fonts on everything to be huge so I can see if from where I sit.

I do not use AVG 9

Windows operates by this "focus" and when you move yoru focus away, like get an IM, this now become the running application that is active and the rest now become background applications. So the game is forced out of full screen cause it is now considered a background application.

The only option you have is to use either X-Fire which has built in IM support for games or use the Steam built in chat system. You will not get WLM, Trillian, or Pidgin to do this.

So when you get an IM on the first monitor, the monitor #2 with the game running automatically lose focus?

Right, except you have the numbers switched. Monitor 1 is the game, monitor 2 is the IM. But what really sucks is it's not only when I get a new IM. It's every IM, everytime someone goes away or returns. Very obnoxious.

Mak, I'll look into xfire, but that would defeat my dual monitor set up. The smaller monitor isn't good for much (i sit far from my set up, my main monitor is a 42 inch lcd tv).

Windows operates by this "focus" and when you move yoru focus away, like get an IM, this now become the running application that is active and the rest now become background applications. So the game is forced out of full screen cause it is now considered a background application.

The only option you have is to use either X-Fire which has built in IM support for games or use the Steam built in chat system. You will not get WLM, Trillian, or Pidgin to do this.
I use WLM and when I play Combat Arms at fullscreen, it doesn't lose focus at all...how does that work?

Right, except you have the numbers switched. Monitor 1 is the game, monitor 2 is the IM. But what really sucks is it's not only when I get a new IM. It's every IM, everytime someone goes away or returns. Very obnoxious.

Mak, I'll look into xfire, but that would defeat my dual monitor set up. The smaller monitor isn't good for much (i sit far from my set up, my main monitor is a 42 inch lcd tv).
It is just the way it works. The choice is yours on to use or not to use the 2nd monitor. Windows has operated this way since back with Win 95. Just open your browser and then click on the 2nd monitor. Then try to scroll the browser window down. It wont work as it is not the focused window. Unless you have a program like i do installed that allows you to just scroll over any open window.
I use WLM and when I play Combat Arms at fullscreen, it doesn't lose focus at all...how does that work?
You have done something with your system. Cause i can tell you right now that is not the design of WLM or Windows. It happens to me and has happened to me in XP, Vista and Win7 using a dual display setup like the OP has. So either you have Combat Arms in a window that is just maximized or it isnt running truly in full screen. Where you cant even scroll off that monitor onto the 2nd monitor.

Well I got no idea what I've done to my system; Combat Arms cannot be used in Window mode and I've not changed anything. May it be because the fact that I'm not using Dual Displays? Like just a single display, does that have a different effect? And to check anything off Combat Arms, I have to use "Alt-Tab" to come out of full screen, the screen also readjusts to my normal resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom