ftp

Status
Not open for further replies.
EricB said:
horndude can do it with lunix

pretty much any OS with a tcp/ip stack can run an ftp server, thats all it takes, one machine must have an ftp server up and running, once that is turned on, any client can access it, just enter the appropriate user and passwd unless that has been disabled

windows just doesnt come with this stuff out of the box, its something that has to be added, linux usually has ftp server and client as part of the distro, some have several

windows is typically setup to share folders over a network using its own protocol instead of ftp, but you can use ftp as well

but when i did that it made me choose a specific folder...do i needa make a bunch of separate ones...or is there a way to map network like one drive with all the shared folders in it

dankity said:
but when i did that it made me choose a specific folder...do i needa make a bunch of separate ones...or is there a way to map network like one drive with all the shared folders in it

yes

dankity said:
and waht if i wanna run software off the other computer?

then you need the appropriate protocol/app to use, like telnet for commandline stuff, or in most cases for graphical apps you will need to use windows own networking protocol---if it even allows this, im not sure it does, I know you can do some things like this, for example youve got an install.exe on another machine, if the other machine is mapped and shared you can install that on a remote machine---not sure if it will let you run apps on another host with the display exported to yours though----with windows you need an app to act as a go between I believe

like for eample, youve got firefox installed on X but want to run it on Y, im not sure if you can just jump in and do this by surfing to where the folder is on X while sitting in front of Y and then clicking it, ive never tried it, ftp is NOT the way to do it, that is for certain

ftp=file transfer protocol, see RFC 959 among others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom