the frustration!!!! installing vista to a sata.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

busa4

Solid State Member
im trying to install vista to a sata hd. it runs through the install until it gets to the hard drive list where my hard drive doesnt even show up in the window. i click next and vista says hard drive cannot be found and thats it. i checked my bios settings and sata controllers are enable and raid is enabled. wtf do i do now? i have an asus m2n-sLI deluxe MB. did i hook up something wrong? i connected the sata hard drive to the sata 1 port but i also have a seperate sata-raid1 port on the otehr side of the MB.

i clicked the load drivers icon and a list of confusing s%$t popped up. i loaded my asus "vista driver upgrade kit" cd rom in rom drive and searched through the list until i found the "drivers" icon then i clicked raid, then vista, then vista 32 then sata again and 3 choices came up on the sceen. i selected next and same error. cant find hd.

Vista has almost all the SATA Drivers needed. Have you tried to turn off the RAID settings. No need for them to be on if you a.) only have 1 SATA Drive since RAID uses 2 drives and b.) do not plan on using RAID.

i tried raid enabled and turned off. it goes to the hd screen but it still doesnt see either of my sata hd's. ive tried them both. the only drive it sees is my old ide.

Well you need to find the make and model of the mobo. From there go to the manufacturer site and get the SATA drivers. I am guessing it is a Intel based chipset?

To me it seems that the drivers are just not located on the CD you got.

Very noobish question, but just want to make sure it's nothing TOO stupid. You did hook up the sata power cables as well, correct? Not just the sata data cables.

Does the bios show you have the hard drives connected? Because if they aren't showing up in the bios, something is definitely wrong.

yes, sata power cables and data cables are hooked up. i can see both sata hard drives in bios under raid1 and raid 2 but vista doesnt see them when doing an install.

Then you need to get the RAID Drivers for the Vista disc. IT only has SATA Generic drives. It has few to none RAID Array drivers.

I installed Vista fine on my Western Digital SATA drive but I do know my friend had problems gettiong his copy of vista onto his SATA drive but his was a seagate, the only advice I personally can give you is to spend time looking at the instructions becuase they are your life line in your problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom