Frustrated...Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffrow

Beta member
Running Windows XP Home ... came in over the weekend and get a BSOD with the "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, or "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, or just a BSOD with 0x0000000a, which usually means a hardware conflict. I have done the following:

Removed Old RAM, installed new RAM

Removed any components from the PCI Slots

(Video and Sound are integrated on mobo.)

Installed PCI Video Card

Unplugged cooling fan from mobo

Reseated processor

Unplugged Floppy & CD

Put in a working Win 98 HDD and get a Windows Protection Fault on it.

Tried to boot to a WIN98SE boot floppy and it hangs...

Tried to boot to a Win XP CD to repair and it stops at "Setup is Starting Windows"

I don't have any hardware left to change. I looked in MSoft's KB and it talks about different things, mostly to do with RAM or Video, or maybe a corrupt paging file, but to get to that fix, I have to get into Windows first, which is impossible.

The only other option that I have is the Motherboard, do you guys think that is the problem or am I missing something? Anybody run into this before? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Thanks

Jeff

The IRQ faulty 'usually' points at either faulty or an overclocked memory/fsb but its ot the only possible problem....it could also be a faulty mobo.....or you've got too many peripherals plugged in OR tuned ON (if onboard the mobo) at install time (souncards, network cards, usb devices and sometimes 'new' agp cards) and ACPI can also be the cause of the IRQ problem (try disabling it on your mobo). A weak psu will also cause this problem.

The Page Fault..usually points to a HDD problem OR the mobo OR a psu problem.

In your case (pun) I would start with ensuring your psu is man enough for the job (I havent aclue what your specs are but lets say 300watts as an absolute minimum?) A lot of 98se machines have crappy 145watt psu's (which 5 years ago was enough but for todays machines nowhere near enough ooomph to be stable......and its STABILTY that xp MUST have at install time).

Well

Thing is, it is not a new install. It has been running fine for six months, problem was no problem Friday when I went home. BSOD was waiting on Monday morning.

Thanks

Jeff

The best thing is to ask microsoft what happened, give the exact error, or you can reinstall your system again, it will give you a new os.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom