Friend says there is something strange that Windows 7 can do something strange...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yerfdog

In Runtime
Okay, my friend from school says that Windows 7 can shut down the computers using a certain IP address. He says that if you open up cmd.exe and type in "shutdown -i" (remove the quotes), a window will pop up, then you type in an IP address, and it will make all the computers using that IP shut down. He said you can also make their computer say something that you type in.

I highly, highly doubt this for very many reasons. What do you guys think?

Surely typing that into CMD will just shut your system down. Nice try :p

Shutdown -i brings up a shutdown box, it enables you to shutdown other computers over the same network as long as you are logged in as administrator, and your user account has administrator access on all other computers, via this box, you are able to input information that will be displayed to the other user for the shutdown, and have options to have the other computers log the reason in event viewer.

You also have the option of just restarting it, and if I remember right, just logging the user off.

This can also be blocked on the computers via a registry edit, just can't remember which one

It can be done from Windows XP Pro SP3 and up, not sure about 2k and lower.

shtdwni.jpg

Oh. He must have misunderstood what it does. He must have been thinking it can shut down any computer in the world. :p

Nope, just with in the network, and you have to have admin access, it's there so admins can easily reboot entire networks after applying updates and what not.

Even though he was mistaken, this is very useful. I didn't know about that, and it will come in handy. I use remote desktop for computers on my network, and it's aggravating that you can't shut down a computer with remote desktop. Now, I'll just use shutdown -i.

Thanks.

You can do it via a batch file, just put all the computers on your network in the batch file, and you can restart all the computers on your network with two clicks, literally, I know in some schools this saves ~1 hour, if not more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom