Freeware/Shareware

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcohen

Banned
Anyone use Freeware or Shareware? I have Mc Afee Internet Security Suite so I have no need for some of this software. Also want make sure that the software does not cause a conflct with Mc Affee. What would you suggest in freeware/shareware?

We all use it. It jsut depends on which we use. I use several freeware apps. Filezilla, EasyBCD among others. Shareware i dont use as much. Only when trying out a application to see if i want it. It all depends on what application you want and what you want it to do. There are millions of possibilties.

FileForum | Find. Download. Discuss.

Free Windows downloads - Softpedia

There are even more sites that have this stuff. What kind of application are you looking for? MP3 player, video player? Need more specifics not just a general topic on this.

I use mostly use all freeware. I guess I will name a few:

CCleaner - Great freeware program that cleans your computer out, on some old computers sometimes you can get a Gb or 2 with the cleaner. It also has a Add/Remove Program utility, and a registry cleaner.

AVG Free Anti-Virus by Grisoft - Great free anti-virus, and I love it very much. I have been using it for about 2 years and it is one great AV. I would recommend you switching to it as I have seen dozens of computers with McAfee and McAfee had did nothing to help the infections. The only way McAfee usually gets around is just being pre-put into a computer during manufacturing

Ad-Aware 2007 Personal by Lavasoft - I have also used the free version of this software for about a year or two. It is a great anti-spyware application and it is used even by my school. I also use it in fixes on client PC's.

Spyware Blaster by JavaCool - It is a great program and it works silently with Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer protecting your computer from infection and other such things. Just update it, enable all the protections, and you're good to go.

Here are a few that I can think off of the top of my head but, there are more. As I have said above, I would recommend from my own personal professional experience, do NOT use McAfee use at all.

Excellent ideas Techpro I have Mc Affee which does all these same jobs for me. What other freeware software could you not do without?

jbcohen

seriously. What kind of apps are you looking for? We can go off all day and give you ideas about all the freeware apps. There is a topic here alone for it.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/list-free-open-source-software-downloads-121255/

I have one on my site which has several sites lists...

Freeware Software MegaThread - TechModo

So honestly until you give us a idea exactly what you are looking for we can not be specific and help. Each perosn will haev a different answer for you. I use CCleaner but the rest i dont use. They are redundant and not needed.Ad-Aware and Spyware blaster both do the same thing. AVG is lower rated on most sites than Avast. Which also has a free version.

So it is all personal preference. We each can shoot off but you are better off looking at the 4 sites i have now posted that have all the software you can think of there.

Well I don't know about redundant as Ad-Aware is used just for scanning in the free version I recommended and Spyware Blaster is used for a perimeter shield. In this case they would not be redundant :D.

@jbcohen: One GREAT website that you can use is Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com which is many freeware and shareware programs you can download. It's a great and secure website hosted by the infamous Geek Squad. You can find so many app's there that it is unbelievable. I would recommend not download any P2P software as they are major security risks.

Also after your license for McAfee is over I would recommend replacing it with AVG as it is NOT a resource hog like Norton, it updates very EASILY, and its quick to the point GUI (Graphic User Interface) is lovable.

Excellent question Makaveli let me try to articulate what I have and what I am looking for. Frist what I have:

Office software - Open Office
Security - nothing more Mc Affee has this covered
Defrag - Mc Affee
Registry Cleaning - Mc Affee
Web Browsing - Sea Monkey
File Compression - 7zip
Toolbars - Do not want any, please keep them away

What I am looking for his anything that does not fall into any of the catagories that I have established above.

My 2 previous posts have all this covered. If you check out those posts in teh freeware megathreads you will see that your questions have already been answered. There is everything from media players to web browsers. If you cant find that stuff in there then the other sites posted will certinaly give you a answer.

What you are looking for is still very vague. I mean you barely even covered any software. To have 7 catagories. There is millions of software apps out there. In oder for us to tell you about all of them....yeah that wont happen. The sites we have provided will give you more than enough info. If you cant find anything there then Google will be your best answer.

SourceForge.net: Welcome to SourceForge.net

That is another place to look. If you cant find anything than i am sorry but there is no better answer. We have given you all the tools you need. You will have to do research on your own from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom