free version of Ghost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.microsoft.com

download Windows Automated Installation Kit(WAIK)

find and download the Windows server 2003 SP1/SP2 OPK(oem.microsoft.com)

install WAIK, find the imagex.exe tool under c:\program files\windows aik\tools\x86, copy it to a USB Flash drive

burn the windows 2003 OPK to disc, boot your system from the CD, plug in the UFD(USB Flash Drive), once the WinPE(OPK CD) boots and comes to a command line, browse to your UFD Drive, locate the imagex.exe use the following command

imagex.exe /capture /compress fast X:\ Y:\image.wim "Image Name Here" "Image Description Here"

where X is the drive letter that you want to make an image of and Y is the letter of the drive you have available to send the image to...I use my ipod or a file share on the network to send the images to...if you have windows server 2003 on your network, install SP2 and install WDS(Windows Deployment Services) set that up, and you can use WDS to deploy these WIMs to computers over the network...

note this only works with windows xp sp2, windows server 2003 SP1 and newer and windows vista.

Some people have told me this CAN also clone linux but i have not confirmed this.

Will this work in a Novell environment? If this works as you say, and I could stick it on a Novell server, this would make my life SO much easier. I have used Ghost to simply clone H/D's but my disk has become corrupted and it was a copy of a copy and I have no idea where the original is. I just need to clone a failing drive instead of installing windows, Novell, apps, etc.

OK, so that did not work. Looks like I'll be buying Ghost. Will it work with SATA drives? I have only used it on IDE.

We use BartPE (preinstalled environment) with the Ghost plug-in. It works great as a bootable disc.

Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
BartPE - Overview

Plug-ins:
BartPE Plugin repository Index
BartPE Plugin Download Details - Symantec Norton Ghost v9 by Frodo

We found the best way to use it is to load Ghost into RAMdisk and then run it from there. That way if you only have one burner you don't have to swap discs.

EDIT: I haven't got it to work with a RAID array yet :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom