free os

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulafien

In Runtime
is there a list somewhere of free os?

rig is used for gaming

reason im asking is that my xp disk cant be read in my new towers disk drive.

Hello,

The only Free OS is Linux. That is not good for gaming. So you will have to find a alternative method to get Windows CD.

From what i can gather. You need SATA Drivers slitpstreamed into your XP CD to get it read on your system.

Please read the topic that says Read First and look for a topic called How to keep your XP fast and stable. In that topic it is described how to slipstream and where to go for drivers.

Cheers,
Mak

ok thanks

ok problem here

got the cd to read then setup stopped halfway through

now when i boot up it goes directly to the setup and i cant wipe the hd to start again

it says redundancy check failed so my disk must be shot.

how do i get to start over with a clean install again?

Hello,

You will have to use a Linux LiveCD or GParted. GParted is available in the Index thread under the Recommended Software for Certain Tasks list.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/recommended-software-certain-tasks-171255/

Use that to format the disc to NTFS and start the install over again. But from the sounds of it your hard drive is going and a fresh install wont help none. I would advise you go into the Recovery Console and do a chkdsk /r on the hard drive. If that doesnt help fix the Hard Drive and repair some of the bad sectors then the disk is unuseable and you will need a new hard drive.

Cheers,
Mak

i have a good little bit of advise there is one other free os out there realy hard to get a fail proof copy but it comes with tones of free software like power iso and avg full and all kinds of good stuff

Rest of the info removed. Violation of Rules and Windows EULA and TOS.

Hello,

We do not support any means other than fully legit copies.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

Okay fine. the only free distributed OS is Linux. There are things like ReactOs that is more Windows based but it is still in Beta and does not support much hardware. Same goes for Haiku. You can get Windows for free but we do not promote that kind of action.

As for a free license to use it. Linux is the only real one. Haiku and ReactOS are still more Linux based than Windows. So unless you know others, i am not wrong. Wtih staying within legal limits.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

Okay fine. the only free distributed OS is Linux. There are things like ReactOs that is more Windows based but it is still in Beta and does not support much hardware. Same goes for Haiku. You can get Windows for free but we do not promote that kind of action.

As for a free license to use it. Linux is the only real one. Haiku and ReactOS are still more Linux based than Windows. So unless you know others, i am not wrong. Wtih staying within legal limits.

Cheers,
Mak

Hate to get technical, but still not true. There is BSD and a whole host of other freely distributed OS's out there. Linux is just the most well known.

But as for your installation problem, is it the hard drive that is corrupted, or do you just have a bad CD? It sounds like your installation CD might be bad. If you have a legit license, you can download and burn a torrent of XP and try it with a clean disk.

BSD is still a Linux style OS. FreeBSD and BSD are not any different than Linux. BSD is classified as Linux more times than not. IF that is incorrect then sorry. But i group BSD right in with Linux cause it is just about the same exact thing. Just a different distro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom