Free IP Ping Software

cyclones

In Runtime
Hello all. I'm wondering if anyone has some recommendations for free IP pinging software that constantly ping's a IP address and then when it consecutively fails, it sends off an email notification? I was using the free EMCO Ping Software until I realized that I needed to ping more than 5 IP devices.. Any recommendations that is free for business use? I searched Google but couldn't find anything that I was looking for. Thanks in advanced!

Spiceworks Network Monitor allows up to 25 devices for free.

OpenNMS is a good freebie. Heres a link to their live demo.

PRTG allows up to 100 sensors free.

Theres a number of other network monitoring tools that, depending on your environment and specific goals, may be better suited for you. I think you will find many of these tools far more robust than a simple ping heartbeat and with the additional alerting and functionality they deliver you'll constantly be more aware of your network situation.

A word of warning: I've been seeing a lot more SNMP vulnerabilities being discovered recently. It is always recommended to change your default community name to something like a complex password on any devices you plan on using SNMP for.

Last edited:
Was just looking for a program that strictly does ping monitoring as we already have some Dell software that monitors our servers. I love would to purchase additional but unfortunately I don't get to control the budget. Thank you all.

Nagios Core is free and is basically the industry standard :)

Most of these network monitoring solutions have different types of sensors that they can monitor. If you're only looking for pinging then that is just one type of sensor that you setup to monitor a certain IP.

Back
Top Bottom