Free anonymous browsing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Free anonymous browsing

A modified version of Mozilla Firefox that lets users browse the web anonymously has been released.

The Torpark browser can be stored on and run from a flash USB memory stick, which can effectively turn a PC into an anonymous terminal.

Hacktivismo - an eclectic bunch of lawyers, artists, hackers and human rights activists - has created the modified portable web browser.

On its website the group claims to be "committed to developing technologies in support of the highest standards of human rights."

Explaining the motivation behind Torpack, Hacktivismo founder Oxblood Ruffin said: "We live in a time where acquisition technologies are cherry picking and collating every aspect of our online lives - so it seems that it's a browser attempting to redress that supposed imbalance."

No installation is required to run Torpark but the two folders generated from its free download website have to stay together for the browser to run.

Working in conjunction with The Onion Router (TOR) network, the tool anonymises a user's connection through encryption and constantly changing net addresses. This makes it incredibly difficult for ISPs to track an individuals web-related activity and location.

The Torpark website details instructions on what limitations to expect if using the browser, as surfing the net anonymously has several drawbacks including a slower browsing speed and individual websites not storing a users login details.

Torpark is being released under the GNU General Public License and is dedicated "to the Panchen Lama".

http://torpark.nfshost.com/

Old 09-20-2006, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

Hmm..I'll have to read more on this..I don't see how ISP can not see what you're doing since the information is still traveling from your computer to the ISP then out to the Internet. Unless there's some kind of secure tunneling that the browser is connected to a secure server using like SSL which handles the HTTP request for the web client. This would probably be slower than plain old HTTP.

*EDIT*

Ok..I've just read on and it's exactly what I thought.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

It works pretty well, just deadly slow. But most things that use tor are.
With all due respect John, I am the head of IT and I have it on good authority. If you type "Google" into Google, you can break the Internet. So please, no one try it, even for a joke.........It's not a laughing matter. You can break the Internet.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

At least this one works, I was never able to get any of those FF extensions to work.
With all due respect John, I am the head of IT and I have it on good authority. If you type "Google" into Google, you can break the Internet. So please, no one try it, even for a joke.........It's not a laughing matter. You can break the Internet.
Closed Thread