Fraps Alternative?

I wanna be able to record close to clean footage but at a smaller file size. Somewhat like how xFire use to record at, was clean enough to see detail but it's somewhat small in size compared to Fraps. Just I don't use xFire anymore, so was wondering of any other alternative.

Cam Studio possibly, the full version compresses the files to a smaller size.
PROS: High quality footage, uses little CPU meaning no lag in your game. Compresses files so they are smaller
CONS: Costs money, cannot take screenshots, does not show FPS
My rating: 6.5/10.0

Last edited:
I wanna be able to record close to clean footage but at a smaller file size. Somewhat like how xFire use to record at, was clean enough to see detail but it's somewhat small in size compared to Fraps. Just I don't use xFire anymore, so was wondering of any other alternative.
That's what I was saying just turn down the settings. Not in your game but in FRAPs. You can do half size which records everything just half the size.

Cam Studio possibly, the full version compresses the files to a smaller size.
PROS: High quality footage, uses little CPU meaning no lag in your game. Compresses files so they are smaller
CONS: Costs money, cannot take screenshots, does not show FPS
My rating: 6.5/10.0
Tried it but I don't really like it, kinda framey unless I configure it right.
PlayClaw or XFIRE
PlayClaw is as good as it gets
I'll try the PlayClaw later when I get back from class.
That's what I was saying just turn down the settings. Not in your game but in FRAPs. You can do half size which records everything just half the size.

In half size stuff isn't as noticeable. Quality drops a lot, all I know is I am playing the game but can't see anything in the game as names or guns, etc.

Wait, what? It's all the same except the video size is half the size. It's like the difference between a 1080p and 720p video. Quality is degraded simply because you aren't recording at full resolution. I just did a half size video of the cell area in Dishonored and I can see everything fine.

Your only other option is to record full quality and encode it.

Any good Fraps alternatives that can take screenshots as well? Fraps records and it takes up a huge size per recording :(.

Choose half size recordings, choose fps 30.0 or closely match which game is running at that speed.
Next you download k-lite codec full package, and install, use ffd encoder decoder for mpeg2 files and xvidia for higher end avi's mpg4s.
If you record for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, yes you will have nice big chunk of video.
Use aissesoft video converter to shrink down the file, you could use windows live movie maker, but lately it has been of fail to do any movie conversions right.
This an example from I did from fraps and converting, its good for recording, if your computer is slow on things like that, it may not be right for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watchv=BtPKUHdiHZw&feature=plcp

Last edited:
Wait, what? It's all the same except the video size is half the size. It's like the difference between a 1080p and 720p video. Quality is degraded simply because you aren't recording at full resolution. I just did a half size video of the cell area in Dishonored and I can see everything fine.

Your only other option is to record full quality and encode it.
Well I tried it and it actually worked fine, so gonna try the additional stuff that Mike posted below to see if I can smallen it a bit more.
Choose half size recordings, choose fps 30.0 or closely match which game is running at that speed.
Next you download k-lite codec full package, and install, use ffd encoder decoder for mpeg2 files and xvidia for higher end avi's mpg4s.
If you record for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, yes you will have nice big chunk of video.
Use aissesoft video converter to shrink down the file, you could use windows live movie maker, but lately it has been of fail to do any movie conversions right.
This an example from I did from fraps and converting, its good for recording, if your computer is slow on things like that, it may not be right for you.

Gonna try this and see how it goes. Thanks for all the suggestions guys :). This thread can now be closed.

Back
Top Bottom