Frame rate drops and dies please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

randwilkinson

Beta member
Alright, i'm having a problem and for once, i can't figure out how to fix it.. when i play a game such as world of warcraft of medal of honor, it runs fine for 3-10 minutes, then my frame rate goes from 30-40/second down to .5-2 frames per second..

i'm using a p4 2.66ghz machine with 1.25 gigs of ram.. geforce fx go5200 w/32megs ram.. this is a dell inspiron 5150 latop.. i know nvidia doesn't support 'go' models and dell hasn't released anything as far as vid drivers since sp1 when the machine came out.. so i've been using DNA and omega force modified programs with no problems.. i've been using this machine fine for months with no major problems..

i've rolled back the machine, updated drivers, changed drivers, tried over clocking, ran chkdks, defragged, but from the reports, my gpu clock and my video ram are staying at a constant rate.. my machine isn't overheating or anything abnormal.. i can browse the web fine and play solitaire, but when i go into something demanding, it just locks up after a few minutes.. i reinstalled the game, only to realize it was doing that to all my games.. i've tried tweaking settings, and i can't turn off 3d acceleration else the game won't start.. i can't find any problems with openGL or anything, for once i'm just totally lost...

if this is anything of note, i've looked under 'my computer' properties and its usually reads:
Computer:
Mobile INtel(R) Pentium(R)
4 CPU 2.66GHz
2.66GHz
1.25 GB of RAM

but when its lagging up, the 2nd to last line that reads '2.66GHz' sometimes reads '1.59GHz' or even a couple times its down to '185MHz' which is nuts... this is a P4 not a P1.. i was using a monitor program and the cpu chip was rated 2.66 but maintained a constant clock speed of 1.59ghz through this according to that, and now xp..

i've seen a few different forums of people having this problem and no one seems to know how to solve it.. i don't really want to reformat, anyone know of a solution?

sorry for the long post, but i wanted to make sure you knew that i have tried a lot and i'm not a moron.. i hope all the details will trigger some ideas!
Thanks,
Jay
randwilkinson@hotmail.com

i have it plugged in.. screen is broken, so its a halftop :p i kept looking and i think it's overheating.. all this hot weather.. so i put pop bottle caps under the corners and tomorrow i'll clean the heatsink and fan, screens etc.. or if my vid card has a fan, it may be shot..

i think it was overheating and the p4 was slowing itself down so it wouldn't fry itself.. that was the lag.. game was demanding, overheated and slowed down to pathetic levels.. so after a night of frustration, i found one thread and talked to some friends and a couple told me 'oh yea p4s slow down when they get too hot.. that was probably it.. being summer and all' lol, wish i knew before i did 6 hours of work to it..
Thanks!

when you see that drop from 2.66 to 1.89 I think that is called stepping mode which saves power.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom