Formatting with Win XP Pro SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lev2323

In Runtime
I am trying to format with an XP disk. My girlfriend was running win2k, and she got win xp sp2 from her school. I D/Led it and made it into an ISO, and booted from the disk during start up and started formatting. Then I pulled out my XP cd to do mine. I am already running XP Pro, off the same install CD. I restarted, booted from the CD and it just loaded Windows. I even tried using the cd I made for her to use and it still goes into windows. I know I am missing something stupid here, but can someone clue me in? How do I get it to run to the setup menu at startup so I can wipe my HDD then install XP?

you need to set your bios to try to boot to the cd drive before the hard drive. When you first turn on your machine, you should see something that says press X for setup; x could be delete or F2 or whatever key. Then look in CMOS setup for boot order and set cd higher than Hard drive. Save your changes and reboot with the cd in. You'll have to press any key to boot to the cd when it says so.

Guess I should have made this clearer, but I have. It boots from the CD first, and I hit space or whatever, just jumps to windows.

Yes.

But, I got it figured out. For some reason, my USB gaming keyboard was not responding at that time in the boot process, making it impossible to "hit any key."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom