Is formatting needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobo_man

In Runtime
I'm not really sure what formatting is about. But I'm about to reinstall Windows XP. There's a crazy problem that I know is unrepairable. Here's the question:
When you put in Windows XP CD, it asks you if you want to format the harddrive..which takes AGES. I'm just wondering if formatting is needed everytime you install windows??
Please answer this. Thanks. (Need this information urgently)
--------------------------
FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE CURIOUS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO ME COMPUTER THAT IS "UNREPAIRABLE", here is what happened. I used fix-it utilities from VCOM and used their cleanup harddrive utility. Apparently, it removed system files in windows and hidden files when I cleaned it up. At first, I didn't notice any difference but everytime I logged on after that, the "Preparing to install" window keeps flashing on and off. Then I used their registry cleaner, and everything is screwed up now. Apparently, it deleted basically all uninstall entries and the only program left in add/remove programs is microsoft .net framework. All other uninstall entries have been removed but it the software itself still exists on my harddrive. It's impossible to uninstall something because no program is listed, even if I a usea program that is only for removing programs. I've spent the past hour burning and copying/sending all my important files to rewritable disks and Memory sticks and I'm ready to reinstall windows. Just need the above question answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom