formatting a hdd and its taking forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

myr707

In Runtime
I just got a new western digital passport 500 gb and am in middle of formatting it (converting it to ntfs instead of fat32). Its running for well over two hours now and the format is about a third done. Anyone know if this makes any sense? I've formatted plenty of hard drives and never had it take this long.

Does this belong in the hardware forum?

Are you using Windows? Have you tried GParted or one of the many other tools in the READ FIRST thread titled: Recommended software for certain tasks.

Yes I'm using windows to format it. Would you believe its not done yet!?! I don't care if it takes long now because since it took this long i don't need it til tomorrow morning (wanted to use it this afternoon). Do you think there is something wrong with the way its being formatted?

No. Windows is just slow when it comes to formatting. Which is why i use GParted.

If you are doing anything else why it is formatting, like anything CPU intensive it will slow the process down a lot!

Or you could just check the 'Quick Format' option in Windows. Since it's a new drive, you don't really need to erase anything important. Quick format gets it done in less than a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom