Formatting HDD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2003, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Formatting HDD

I'm running Win2k server, and I want to switch to XP. I've been told the only way to do this is by formatting my HDD, and doing a clean install of XP.

But, I can't seem to find how to format my HDD (Maxtor 60GB) in Win2k. I am only using the one HDD.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-20-2003, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

You can't do it from there... you have to get ahold of a copy of FDisk, and then use this. You have to delete the partition, and then it will destroy the data on that partition. From there you recreate it, and then let it do its deal. After this you restart, insert the Windows XP CD, and voila.

A+ Core Hardware, Software Certified (May 13 2005)
the new beast...

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton running at 2.16 Ghz.
GeForce MX 4000 (mainly takes the load off the main system)
Creative Labs Audigy 24-bit sound.
Some Case from tigerdirect
512 MB Ultra DDR RAM.
80GB Seagate HDD
LiteOn CD-RW / DVD ROM drive.
currently looking at a litescribe drive at staples, due to its ability to label the CD shortly after being burned.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

if you boot from the winxp cd it will prompt you to format the partition you want to use.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Whats Fdisk and where can I get it?

Also, would i be bale to delete the partition using Fdisk?
Old 05-20-2003, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

FDisk is a DOS drive management utility. I personally advise just simply inserting the XP disc (CD if you can boot from there in your BIOS) and booting from there. It should have an option to do a clean format. If you are formatting one partition out of several, you can risk loosing all your partitions (format often means the whole drive, not just a partition.)

If you still would like to use FDisk, just somehow obtain an MS DOS boot will likely have it. You can usually download a boot image off the net...speaking of which, do any of you know sites to download them from?
Error: Keyboard not attached. Please press F1 to continue. <pre>-------OS----------Gentoo Linux-------<br>------Browser-----Mozilla Firefox-----</pre><form action="" method="get"><input type="text" name="search"> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search the Forums, thanks to Emily"></form>

|||Official Forum Rules|||<hr>
Old 05-23-2003, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

i would seem to agree just pop in your xp cd and follow the prompts, leave Fdisk to others....

Death has a thousand doors, let's see which one our victim chose.

"There's one thing that you learn on this job, is that human beings are capable of anything"

If you chase two rabbits, you lose them both

You say tomato... I say cause of death
For sale/trade
Closed Thread