Formatting computer with XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra

Baseband Member
how do you do a fresh install of windows xp with formatting everything on your hard drive? my windows xp home cd doesnt boot up DOS when you turn the computer on, like my old windows 2000 pro cd, what gives? i tried pressing f4\f5\f8 on startup, and my computer had no 'command prompt only' option for the menu on how you want to boot. so how can i format everything and reinstall xp?

ok...heres the cliff notes version.

(When you boot up your comp, press f7 or whatever your setup button is. Then, scroll down to where you see the drive boot up sequence. Make it so that your CD drive boots up before anything else. Then, pop ur CD in and resstart ur comp.)------->if thats the problem your facing, you might have to find a disket to boot up the CD drive

If you wanna start everyhting from scratch, dont forget to delete your partition. Then itll then ask you if you wanna reformat your HD.

well, hope this somewhat helps

1) Download a Windows 98 bootdisk from here

2) Save it to your hard drive and then extract it to a blank floppy

3) After the boot disk has been created, download this file and save it to your floppy

4) Boot your XP machine with this floppy, choose "without CD-ROM support"

5) At the prompt, tryp "FDISK" and then delete you partiton using this utility.

6) After you delete the partition, you'll have to create 1 primary DOS partition.

7) Exit out of fdisk and then reboot the computer......still boot using the disk, this time choosing "CD-ROM support"

8) type "format c: /s" and then "Y" at the confirmation and wait for your drive to be fully formatted.

9) Name the drive (if you want) and then from the A:\ prompt, type "smartdrv" and hit enter.

10) After smartdrv runs, switch to the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive containing the XP CD.

11) Once at the drive letter, type "cd i386" and hit enter

12) then type "winnt" and hit enter

13 It is going to ask where the location of the installation files are and it will have "E:\i386\" already populated (Where E = your CD-ROM drive letter

14) Just get rid of the i386 portion so you just have "E:\" and then hit enter.

15) This will start the install. Hopefully, you'll be able to take it from there? Remember to allow the XP install to format the partition using the NTFS format.

You should be good to go.

-Mike

Yea..... lol....you too though!

After I posted, I realized that "Oh, yea.......it could've been the boot sequence, eh?"

LOL.....

it worked, thanks :cool:.

however, there was no partition to be created, it said something like "there is no partition on this drive.", but anyways when i restarted it booted xp setup from the cd, so thanks again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom