Formatting C Drive on Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomjonz

Beta member
Hi everyone.
I have a pc running windows xp and I want to reformat the drive and install windows 98.
I was given this machine and it is really slow. I don't think it has the resources for xp. Anyways, I have tried to format the c drive and have been stopped by xp. How do I do this?

yea, u cant format c drive WHILE running XP because XP is on the c drive and it cant format itself..
ur best chice is to stick to TheMajor's advice

be warned, you can only create a 32gb fat32 partition in winXP...
at least I think that is the size. It is limited though...
Just so you know...

true, XP can only create FAT32 partitions up to 32GB, though FAT32 itsself is limited to 8TB.
The maximum NTFS volume size XP can create is 256TB i think.

Thanks for the replies.

I am now thinking of installing windows 98 on this machine without deleting xp. How would I do this so that the machine boots up to windows 98 and doesn't do anything with the xp?

F*** XP discs. Man if you want to do it the clean way, do it from dos. Boot from a boot diskette and input the proper parameters. It's the best way to do it.

TheMajor said:
true, XP can only create FAT32 partitions up to 32GB, though FAT32 itsself is limited to 8TB.
The maximum NTFS volume size XP can create is 256TB i think.

So you have a HD that is this large?

BTW- Boot into dos and type in "format C: /q". That will format the drive using the quick way. You could switch to Windows 2000, that is better than XP anyway. XP was developed for older people who need a little "help" with using a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom