Formatting blank DVDs in Vista...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
OK, this is really ticking me off. I have a growing pile of coasters because of this hair-brained scheme. Vista must format a blank DVD before it can be used, but it isn't doing it. All I want to do it to back up some stuff, but I can't because of this.

What's going on, and what am I doing wrong? Or, how do I get this to work properly? I am using an LG GH22LS30 with the latest firmware, Vista Ultimate 64-bit, and a spindle of Sony DVD-R's (that is getting smaller...). I had the same results withe last of my Memorex DVDs, too.

PLEASE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME!!!

Trotter seriously i've had the same issue. I wrote it off to needing a new DVD drive, but it is nice to see (sorry to say) that others are having the same issue. In fact i've had to 'cater' my backup scheme to use other devices b/c Vista doesn't work.

The automatic backup software doesn't work (where you select certain files for it to backup), the total system backup (where it creates a snapshot of your system and backs it up), and burning files to DVD doesn't work either.

I assumed i needed a new DVD drive...

I never use the built-in burner of Vista... I just use good 'ol ImgBurn to back data up with.

But will ImgBurn be able to burn individual files without formatting the DVD first?

It should. Just pick the Burn Files & Folders to Disc option, add your file(s) and/or folder(s), and then click Build.

Just a question trotter mate but what file system is it trying to write to the disk NTFS or CDFS?

I have no idea. It is the default formatting through Vista.

I never use the built-in burner of Vista... I just use good 'ol ImgBurn to back data up with.

This. Never use the built in burning tools in XP/Vista/Win7. They are all buggered.

ImgBurn you have the option to burn individual files with. Chase is right that it is the Write Mode. If anything use CDBurnerXP. It works in vista as well and operates almost exactly like Nero.

I do not use vista's inbuilt CD/DVD burning tool as i have way too much compatibility issues with being able to read from the that disk on other machines. Especially if they are windows 2000 and earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom