formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarLord

Solid State Member
I installed XP a while back and really dislike it, and want to format the drive. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make a XP boot disk. I don't know much about XP.

Also My hard drive is in three partitions. C:, D:, and E: are all currently formatted in NTFS. Is it possible to deleted the primary partition and format it as a FAT32 to reinstall 98SE and dual boot 2000 Pro off of D: without having to redo the D: and E: partitions. well except moving the files from D: to E: beforehand. I haven't worked with NTFS in a while and I am a little lost.

Thanks,
War

what i usually do is pop in a 98se boot disk and fdisk from there, even if the os is xp. we have the same set-up of partitions, i too have c,d and e...all in ntfs.....

reformatting everything means that your also to erase to file system....i suggest that you format c partition first,..install the os...and boot it up,..and format d and e within windows. too simply put it,..yes,..you can format c,..without touching d and e.

i keep my large files in d and e,...2 days ago,...i reinstalled my os on c which was previously on fat32 and its now on ntfs...my d and e partitions were still in fat32,..so i just reformatted them within windows to ntfs. this allowed me to move files to c, before formatting d and e to ntfs.

I'm sorry on the second part I should have been a little more clearer. What I meant to say was is it possible to move my files from D: to E: and format D: and install 2K Pro for the dual boot where I can read E:, without having to reformat E:.

yeah, sure...you can do it upon booting c (win98),...then transfer your files from d to e,...then install 2k in d.

but if e is in ntfs,..and you'd like to have it in fat32,..then reformat e to fat32 first before you move the files from d to e .

once youve done this and d is clear of all files,..then go ahead and install 2k in d.

i hope this clears it up..

MicroBell said:

If your trying to save files (which is what I'm guessing) then before removeing XP...format 1 partition back to FAT32..then move your files there.

this is more simple...:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom