Formating Computer Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey31

Solid State Member
2 questions.

Is there a way to re-format that so once its done you don't have to install all the drivers?

If not, I am stuck, I need to format my computer as it is completly rooted atm, and my bro has all these drivers on his computer and I don't know which ones I will have to install, so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hello,

Once you've formatted the system, conventionally, all the data is erased.

It's easy to retreive and install the required drivers for the system. The main drivers you'll need are the chipset drivers, graphics driver and audio driver. For most devices, windows already has the drivers, but sometimes you're required to install drivers manually.

All you need to do is take note of the system specifications, most importantly what motherboard you have, what graphics you have and what audio you have. You can then download them from the manufacturer's website.

If you don't know what your system specifications are, I'd download and install Everest Home Edition, and run it to find out your system specifications: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

I have a thread here for backing up your drivers.

You can also use nlite to integrate your drivers onto your xp cd, so that you won't have to look for driver after installation

EricB said:
what's that

EricB, DELTREE is a dos command that deletes all files and sub directories in a folder.

killians45, if you are suggesting that he use the deltree command instead of formatting my question to you is WHY?!?!?! if you are asking him to do that in the os it will not work due to system files being in use aswell as protected system files and if you are asking him to boot to a floppy and do it then why not just format and start from scratch with new partitions and everything.

No, it's because he stated he doesn't have certain programs and what not on his system. If he has a system from cybermax (not sure if thats the name), a few offered via tiger direct, some that starts with a V that I cant remember, then the problem is there is no driver cd's with it, **** some dont even have the windows cd but is instead contained on a seperate partition. The ones that only have the os cd, we used to have to do a deltree and reinstall. Esentially the drivers where contained in a seperate folder. You deltereed windows, reinstalled and then installed the apps and drviers from the backup directory. Yes, you do this from Dos. Been in the 'puter biz for a very long time now, but that is what the problem may be. He stated about the drivers and such. Way back when, when I did phone tech support (thank GOD I went to school and dont have to deal with that anymore), we use to have to field these calls, and the first thing we did for future reference is have them copy their backup folder to a cd so we could in the future do a full install. However, if they didn't have the means to (possible if this is an older machine) the only thing was to do a deltree so the driver and app folder would be there to finish the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom