Format partition to another NTFS version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Nation

Baseband Member
I am installing windows XP pro on a laptop as a dual boot and it is my understanding that in Vista, if you format a hard drive to NTFS it gets formatted to NTFS 6.0. I would like to format the partition to 5.1 to stop the install from locking up and shutting down. Does anyone know how to do this? I hate messing with hardware...

I would try GParted, its a live bootable CD. It's linux based, and you can resize/format partitions with it.

If you're wanting to install XP on a computer that has Vista as well, you're going to need to slipstream SATA drivers onto the XP disc with nLite, that'll be the reason the install will lock up/not work usually, since AHCI is probably enabled in BIOS to take advantage of the extra features SATA drives offer.

The setup loads the SATA driver but it shuts down at the loading kbdus.dll usually (the keyboard layout) Also the kbduss.dll IS on the disc and it has loaded it and continued ONCE. Also I have previously dual booted this machine with this exact CD.

Now then how would I find and slipstream that driver?

Nlite to slipstream the driver. You would have to find the driver at the keyboard manufacturer's site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom