Format C

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveFea

Beta member
I am running Windows 98 SE with a HDD partitioned into a C and a D drive. I have kept the OS and applications on the C drive and all my data on the D drive. Is it a) possible and b) risk free to format the C drive without affecting the D drive?

DaveFea said:
I am running Windows 98 SE with a HDD partitioned into a C and a D drive. I have kept the OS and applications on the C drive and all my data on the D drive. Is it a) possible and b) risk free to format the C drive without affecting the D drive?

Yes, it is possible, and formating C:\ will NOT affect D:\
Creating a 2nd parition is actually a good method to use for bakcking up.

Now that you have your data on the 2nd parition, restart your computer and format C:\ from DOS. (if you are going to reinstall Windows 9x)

If you plan on upgrading to Win 2K/XP then boot from your operating system CD, and format C:\ during the setup. (it will give you the option to do this)

Re: Re: Format C

Vile said:
Yes, it is possible, and formating C:\ will NOT affect D:\
Creating a 2nd parition is actually a good method to use for bakcking up.

Now that you have your data on the 2nd parition, restart your computer and format C:\ from DOS. (if you are going to reinstall Windows 9x)

If you plan on upgrading to Win 2K/XP then boot from your operating system CD, and format C:\ during the setup. (it will give you the option to do this)

He's right, from a DOS command the correct command is
format C: /u

It should then prompt you "all data will be lost on the C drive that contains (for example) 20Gig of space, are you sure you want to continue.

Might not be that exact wording but close.

kirk what does the /u do?

daveFea you can perform a quick format using c: /q . this works if you have already done a full format which you have. format only destroys data on the drive being formatted. your other drives will remain intact

if you used your D:\ as a backup drive/data and stored your install files on it, as long as it is Fat32 you can format your c: and load directly from the D: as well.

microsoftne said:
if you used your D:\ as a backup drive/data and stored your install files on it, as long as it is Fat32 you can format your c: and load directly from the D: as well.

I see what you are saying, but thats OK for me and you, but for beginners that would complicate the issue and confuse him, better to install from the CD-Rom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom