folder Syncronising

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundertiger

Baseband Member
Hi..

I just got a new laptop with vista Home premium ...

i still got my old dekstop, but i want to sync all of my music with my laptop from my desktop ..

My desktop is running XP home, and laptp - vista home premium ..

is there any way i can sync my My Music folder from my desktop with the one on my laptop ? I have a home network set up with sharing folders, printer and stuff, Is there any software to do what i want ?

thanks

thunder tiger

as u said u have the home network setup, just share the folder from the desktop which u want to share. and the work is done.

anand1 said:
as u said u have the home network setup, just share the folder from the desktop which u want to share. and the work is done.

Yes, Ive tried that, but all thats essentialy doing is straming music from my main PC to my laptop over the network.. I want a second copy of my music on my laptop. so i have my desktop music library wherever i am.

ericB said:
it called copy and paste.

yes, but that takes time, and 14gb over USb will take a **** of a lot of time. I basicaly want a program that will sync a defined folder on my laptop with the My Music folder on my desktop.

yes, but that takes time, and 14gb over USb will take a **** of a lot of time. I basicaly want a program that will sync a defined folder on my laptop with the My Music folder on my desktop.

The copy and paste method will be the only one that works. Any other method will still leave hte music on your desktop. Only when you COPY it over to your laptop will you be able to take it with you. Sorry this isnt what you are looking for but that is the only answer.

Unless you setup your desktop to be a server basically and then connect your laptop to it but then you have to have a net connection at all times.

So as previously stated only a copy and paste will work. They is no sync. There is no other way. Thru the network is the only way but that still leaves the music on your desktop.

so i have my desktop music library wherever i am.

This mean you have to have the files on BOTH PC's. Cant sync to your desktop if you can not attach to it. Which means the files have to be put on your laptop.

network copy and paste moves at 100mbps for regular or 1000mbps in you use gigabit

Even with a 3rd party program, it would essentially be automatically copying and pasting for you. That would still take just as much time, just automatically.

With that in mind, maybe GoodSync: File Synchronization, Backup, Data Replication, PC Sync Software, File Sync, Data Synchronization Software is what you are looking for.

Plus be happy it is only 14GB. Back them up to DVD. That would only be 4 DVD's and that aint much. I have well over 70GB of music right now. Try to move that. :D

I have over 200 gig on each machine and I darn near have over 1,200 gigs of movies on my 2 main computers

Wow. That is a lot of stuff. I have well over 1,000 movies but they are all burned to DVD. I only keep a few on my PC. the rest are on DVD. But i will be getting more Music soon. About another 80GB or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom