folder permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

neversleeps

In Runtime
heres the situation, my xp home install went to crap on my c: partition. i installed xp pro to d: partition and when trying to get into the docs and settings folder where all of my stuff is from my home install its denying me permission. so how do i get into it? i cant get into my home install to change my files from being private to non private. i cant use knoppix or nething cuz it wont write ntfs and there is about 20 gigs of stuff so burning it and transferring it over isnt an option. ne ideas on how to get the permission level removed would b great. i dont even want to move it i just want access to it rite where it is.
thanks
neversleeps

You should be able to take ownership of the folders there. If you are an admin on the machine then you should have the ability. Unless of course you had EFS enabled on the folders. That could pose a problem for you. I'm not sure how you could get into them if that is the case. As with EFS, if you don't have the key, you don't get in. And the key would be part of the Home install, not the pro install...

i dont kno if i had efs enabled or not. thats encryption isnt it, well the data isnt encrypted, u cant even do that on home its not an option. and how do i take ownership of it, ive rite clicked the folder but havent seen nething to that effect. that was also my first thought was to take ownership.
ne other ideas ppl
thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom