Folder keeps returning - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Question Folder keeps returning

Hi all, not exactly a problem but an annoyance, an Administrative Tools Folder appears on my Desktop (as an icon) every now and then when i hover my mouse over start/all programs ... iv tried another forum and nobody knows wats goin on so i signed up to this and it seems much beta than the last one... the only way i can get rid of the folder is to shred it using a program called window washer which i use regularly (to clear history etc) .. i can not delete the folder when it appears on the desktop becoz windows says its required by xp to run, but i can rename it. if i rename it and then delete it says same thing.. the only way to get rid of it temporarily is to shred it.. when it comes back it has the same name that i renamed it to unless u renamed it agn before deleting it.. iv tried the start menu options and put administrative tools back in the start menu under control panel and ther is nothing inside of the menu (also doesnt fix the desktop folder problem) .. oh and ther is nothing inside of the folder on the desktop either.. and in case u were wonderin if i had a virus or spyware no i dont i chek all the time for spyware and viruses .. i use avast, antispyware and hijackthis if im infected, which i havnt been for a long time... please any help would b gr8! thnx, stuart

Old 05-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

I'm sorry, I actually haven't heard of that one before! I mean it makes sense that it won't let you delete it if it were the real folder and not just a link. I'll do some research

Old 05-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default HELP THE GUY OUT

Try starting in safe-mode and putting the file were you want it and deleting it were you don't, PREHAPS.

Don't have XP but read here all the time and the advice usually given here for fixing such things is to try in safe-mode.

Someone else should elaberate, I'm only guessing since know one else has posted.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

can you post a screen shot of it?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yeah it just looks like a normal folder u can make nothing special which is why i cant understand wat xp is doing?? thnx i will try starting up in safe mode and tel ya if it worked..
Old 05-15-2005, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Blitze105 Send a message via Yahoo to Blitze105

Odd problem. Now the folder has no data in it, am i correct? (In other words, you have it showing hidden files correct?)
Right click the folder and hit properties, then post the folder size.
Also doesn't windows washer let you "bleach" files?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

the folder has a size the same as if i create a folder myself take a look ...

yeh window washer can bleach stuff thnx for reminding me coz i just made a custom plugin and made it shred and bleach admin tools and this came up! ...

after clicking yes and then clicking another yes (it sed do u wish to delete the file even tho it was contained within a system folder) the folder size changed to 0

very strange .. will c if it makes any difference and post on here wen i can
Old 05-16-2005, 02:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

wel after a quick restart it .. the folder come bak (after hovering mouse ova start/allprograms .. but i found something else very interesting.. >>

the desktop.ini file inside of the Administrative Tools Folder.. umm i always thort that administrative tools had system tools in it.. afta havin a look in control panel i now realize ther is nothing inside of the administrative tools icon!!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

hey anybody including blitze105.. i posted screenshots of wats happning but im not getting anywhere.. plz help with this, stuart
Old 05-17-2005, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Blitze105 Send a message via Yahoo to Blitze105

Quote:
Originally posted by BlkShdw88
hey anybody including blitze105.. i posted screenshots of wats happning but im not getting anywhere.. plz help with this, stuart
whats that supposed to mean

I suggest doing a repair install. also these are kinda off the wall but maybe it will work.

make a restore piont!!!! then..
1. Open your regedit. ( Start -> run -> type "regedit")
2. Go to: edit -> search/find -> type Folder.htt
3. Delete the string if it comes up.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 but change step 2. Search for desktop.ini

This is a very off the wall solution as i said. I AM NOT AT FAULT FOR YOUR PROBLEMS

Next one is this:
1. Set up you hard drive as a slave.
2. Use the master drives DOS mode. ( start -> run -> type "cmd"
3. Go throught the directory and delete the folder/file.
4. The directory should look something like this:
C:\Documents and Settings\Stuart\Desktop
(funny thing, STUART?)

PS
Start -> run -> type "regedit"
then go to File -> export

Closed Thread