floppy disk error 40 Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitesilvy

Solid State Member
Hi,
I am new to the forum, great place to get info, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this error message I started to get: floppy disk error 40 when I start the computer. Once I hit f1 it loads up and everything works fine, I already took a look at the bios to see if I could disable the a drive if for some reason it enable it, b/c thing is I don't have a floppy drive.

windows xp came installed on this comp here's more details
Dell xps 630
intel core 2 dou
e8400 @ 3.00ghz
1.98 GHz, 3.25gb of ram

thanks for any help

Make sure the floppy drive option is below the HDD in the bios under boot options.

Seems that your computer is trying to boot 1st from the Floppy and not the hard drive first.(even if you don't have one. And the reason you get the error 40 is because you don't have one. Its an old code basically meaning your cables have become dislodged in old PC's)

I have everything else disable but the hard drive and still does the same thing,:mad: I don't know if it matters but I remember right, it started doing it after it was booting up and I press and hold the on button to shut it off, I don't know if that messed something up:sad:

Should be a BIOS setting for 'halting on errors.' Check that area for something that says only halt on critical errors. Your BIOS isn't detecting a floppy disk and it thinks it should, so it throws out an error. Disable the error halting and it should boot up.

Make sure the floppy drive option is below the HDD in the bios under boot options.

Seems that your computer is trying to boot 1st from the Floppy and not the hard drive first.(even if you don't have one. And the reason you get the error 40 is because you don't have one. Its an old code basically meaning your cables have become dislodged in old PC's)

doing this above will fix the error. yes you disable the floppy, but now you need to change the boot order of your system in the bios. set to boot to cd first, the hdd second then disable the 3rd boot device and make sure network booting is disabled

doing this above will fix the error. yes you disable the floppy, but now you need to change the boot order of your system in the bios. set to boot to cd first, the hdd second then disable the 3rd boot device and make sure network booting is disabled

I have tried this

Should be a BIOS setting for 'halting on errors.' Check that area for something that says only halt on critical errors. Your BIOS isn't detecting a floppy disk and it thinks it should, so it throws out an error. Disable the error halting and it should boot up.
I need help on this, would you explain please

how do I go about doing this?

we told you all of the solutions. I had a board like yours a few weeks ago and I was having the exact same problem as you. I changed the cmos battery and set the bios right and it fixed the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom