Flick back on shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallace

Baseband Member
Hi to all the brians out there,
This is a minor glitch, but could you tell me why the following happens?
Firstly I am using WindowsXP/SP2.
When I go to start, then click turnoff computer, the desktop flashes in a mini second to the colour background (only) of the desktop, no icons, just the background colour. Then back to just before I clicked turn off, then shuts down normally. It is the flick/flash I am wondering about? :eek:

I will give you two answers to your question as I am a novice -
In Startup Control panel HKLM 2.8 by Mike Lin/19 items. Startup Common 1 item, Startup User 1 item
In task manager 57 processes.
Thanks for your interest.

go to start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, then click disable all, recheck your antivirus and reboot. The msconfig utility will appear on startup, put a check mark in the bok and click ok...then shutdown and see if that still happens

I have done all that, and NO it did not happen on booting up - However what about my Nortons Ghost icon and others that were in the Quick Launch bar? I notice my broadband connection is no longer in the startup folder to auto me onto the internet. Don't forget I am a novice here. Thanks so far for your help, but please get back to me with further instructions on what to do next re my startup. I notice in run/msconfig/startup/ general/ it is in selective startup

first of all, 57 processes is alot.

Windows XP starts with 19 icons, and builds up depending on software.

Did you make sure that you disabled everything except for antivirus?

Yes, I did disable all but my virus program. I have and run CCCleaner, Spybot, and I update Windows XP automatically. The initial problem is solved, I am grateful for that, but I have gone back to start/run/startup and enabled Ghost tray, Winpatrol, and D-link PPoe au c. I then shut down and the initial promblem is solved. Thank you both for your help, I am virus free as I run Ewido, Microsoft Defender 2, a-Squared, Counterspy, PC DOC 3.5, Registryfix, and Regseeker, all manually along with my Anti-virus which is programed to run daily. There are how 45 processes running in Task Manager.
What can I do to thank you guys for your help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom