Fixing to completely wipe hard drives..... Need Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Fixing to completely wipe hard drives..... Need Help

I am fixing to re-install Windows XP Pro SP2 and i need ALL of my programs (Reason, FL Studio, Cakewalk SONAR, Visual Studio 2008 and a WHOLE bunch more) RE-INSTALLING IS NOT AN OPTION (everything got stolen from me, even my monitor.) So I need some advice on how to go about doing this. I have blank DVD's and CD's so I need to know what to do.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Fixing to completely wipe hard drives..... Need Help

If you have the installation files for the programs you want to keep, back them up either on cd or portable HDD. I think it will be pretty hard to do without a monitor ... even the format!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Once you reinstall XP you will be working with a totally new riegistry. Every program currently running will also need to see a fresh install. All you can do with blank disks is simply burn files and folders onto them while starting fresh means precisely that.

It's a rough break by any means but new software disks or downloads would be needed to see the same programs go on following a fresh copy of Windows.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigm@tic View Post
If you have the installation files for the programs you want to keep, back them up either on cd or portable HDD. I think it will be pretty hard to do without a monitor ... even the format!
Where would I find these installation files?

eyeCpc,

Just hypothetically speaking really..... What if I just copy every registry key in my current registry and then re-install Windows and place them there?

EDIT: I have a monitor now haha
Old 03-26-2008, 02:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Microsoft has a step by step for that you can download direct from Active Content Wizard

Another problem besides the need to backup and restore the registy is the need to see folders created in other locations under the user account as well as in the Program Files directory since the software installer creates those.

I figured you had already borrowed a monitor or were on someone's else's system in order to start thread here. The question now is why does Windows have to be reinstalled to start with? The installation files are usually on the softwares disks unless a program is saved in a folder when downloaded.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeCpc View Post
Microsoft has a step by step for that you can download direct from Active Content Wizard

Another problem besides the need to backup and restore the registy is the need to see folders created in other locations under the user account as well as in the Program Files directory since the software installer creates those.

I figured you had already borrowed a monitor or were on someone's else's system in order to start thread here. The question now is why does Windows have to be reinstalled to start with? The installation files are usually on the softwares disks unless a program is saved in a folder when downloaded.
I am re-installing because my root hard drive is crammed full (200MB free) of software that i use on a daily basis. So i am going to re-install it on another hard drive (the one with 80Gb instead of my root drive with 19Gb capacity) so i wont have to worry about re-installing again. I just acquired the 80 gig hard drive recently and its blank so....
Old 03-26-2008, 02:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

So time for a clean install of everything to see actual working results. when dual booting along with seeing a desktop screen full of shortcuts for various programs it still has to be done here due to the large number of items. You will most likely end up there as well.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXiMuS_N00BuS View Post
Where would I find these installation files?

eyeCpc,

Just hypothetically speaking really..... What if I just copy every registry key in my current registry and then re-install Windows and place them there?

EDIT: I have a monitor now haha
Copying over the Registry will not solve the issues. First off any registry issues you have will be carried over. 2nd not all the files are placed in the registry. What about the files in teh App data folder under the My Documents folder. You would be missing some very important files there.

You will NEED the installers. Period.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Agreed. You will have a lot of trouble trying to get all that right and getting everything working again.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Ok when I go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, I can see the installer icon next to programs but i dont know where to find them. They're not in the folders. By the way, while were on the Add/Remove Programs subject, In "Change/Remove" what does "Change" mean?

Closed Thread