Fixing the bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoness

Baseband Member
Fixing the bootloader (New problem)

I have a second HD that used to run linux, last night I formatted it as NTFS for Windows so i could use it as a backup drive. Problem is when I boot it now it goes into the grub emergency command line.

How do I replace this bootloader with something that will let my main drive boot and allow this to run as a slave? Thank you in advance.

Thanks, now I havn't restored the bootloader yet but now here is my new problem. The computer goes through POST but it won't load my main harddrive (which hasn't been modified) it just hangs saying...

Verifing DMI Pool Data....

Any solutions? Thanks

sounds like its trying to boot from the old linux drive, unplug the drive and try to boot into windows

I have, the only drive plugged in is the windows one. Is maybe the windows bootloader messed up?

Boot from a bootable floppy diskette. Ensure that this diskette was made on the same Microsoft Windows operating system that is installed on your computer.
Once at the A:\> prompt type "sys c:" and press enter. This should report the message "File system transferred". Once transferred remove the diskette and reboot the computer.
If the computer continues to not boot attempt to re-create the master boot record by booting from the bootable floppy diskette again. Once at the A:\> prompt type "fdisk /mbr" and press enter. This should return you to the prompt without giving you any message. Once at the prompt remove the diskette and reboot the computer.

I think my startup disk is messed up or something, when I do sys c: it says "Bad Command of Filename"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom