First Build: Choosing OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMiller8080

In Runtime
I am doing my first build, and all that's left is the OS. I assumed I would be getting the OEM Windows 7 for system building, but then I read something about not being able to upgrade motherboards if I do this? So I was just curious if someone could break down what I get and what the restrictions are with Windows 7 OEM and the full Windows 7 retail box. What would be the pros and cons of each, and are there any major reasons I would for sure want one over the other?

Thank you! :big_smile:

You can upgrade any hardware so long as you know how to reformat and reinstall. Keep important data backed up other places.

Your can change pretty much everything but the motherboard without needing to reinstall.

Windows 7 64 bit pro should be fine.

There are very little difference between OEM and retail. Some retail packages will allow more than one license, have fancier packaging and more paper work with it.

OEM are normally for system builders, only include the disk and normally only one license.

Slight differences in the EULA, but for the purposes of making your own computer its cheaper to buy OEM version.

So what if I have multiple computers in my home besides the one that I'm building that could use Windows 7? OEM version can only go to one motherboard? and what if I want to upgrade the motherboard in the same build later down the road or it breaks and I need a new one? Would I have to get a new version of windows 7 as well?

Another difference with OEM is that Microsoft does not support them. Meaning if you have a question / issue with windows you can't call windows for help. Idea with OEM is that a system builder would use it and if you needed assistance you would call them.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/differences-between-oem-retail-171393/#post1349335

OEM can only be installed to 1 machine and is tied to the mother board. If you buy a new mother board you have to buy a new copy of Win7.

Microsoft: Upgraded Motherboard = New Windows Licence - Aviran's Place

That is Microsoft's official stance on how that works. So if you buy OEM you can not transfer it to another machine. Along with that if you have multiple machines you can only install Win7 on 1 machine using a single serial. You would have to do what Ste suggested and buy a cooy with a Volume License or a Family Pack which has 3 licenses in order to install on multiple machines.

The first link gives a full rundown of the differences between OEM and Retail versions.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much! Sorry I missed it in search >.<

Only thing I am confused about, is it says that you can reuse the same OEM serial if you can prove that the motherboard is faulty, but later it says that when a motherboard dies the serial dies with it. Does the first part only apply if you find out the motherboard had a defect straight from the manufacturer and didn't simply die from age?

If this is true, would it be safe to assume (as well as provable to Microsoft) the motherboard was defective if it gives out in just a couple months?

There is a difference between a mother board being faulty and a mother board dying. If the mother board is faulty it will be replaced with the exact same model or one comparable for use with the hardware of the OEM machine. If the mother board dies, it wont be replaced and that is why the serial dies with it.

So yes it would only apply if you can prove that the mother board was faulty directly from the manufacturer. A mother board giving out in a couple of months is in no way, shape or form proof that it was faulty. Hardware can die at any point in time no matter how much it is used. You can get hardware dead on arrival. That is not what is meant by this at all.

Faulty means that no matter what is tried. From every tactic recommended by Microsoft, and various other techs, that nothing works with the mother board. Up to and including faulty parts on the mother board. Only the OEM manufacturer can determine if the product is faulty. Since you are not considered a OEM Manufacturer, replacing your mother board would result in the serial going with it. As OEM copies are only supposed to be used by PC builders like Dell, HP and so on. NewEgg has a disclaimer:

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

So sadly there is nothing you can do being a person who built this PC yourself. You are not registered with Microsoft as being a OEM manufacturer and as such you would not be granted the right to transfer the serial even if you could prove that the mother board is faulty.

Well that's a bummer. I suppose the chances of a mother board being dead out of the box (picked it up in store) are pretty slim.

If the motherboard is dead though, this would prevent me from even getting Windows on it right? Am I being a little too cautious? I guess I worry that if my motherboard is dead out of the box I'll have to spend the money on another motherboard AND operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom