firewall. get one

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
i had been using a firewall with spybot and adaware for about 2 years now and no antivirus and got a virus twice.by my mistake
so about 2 days ago my firewall ate sh!t and i had to uninstall it but never installed it back and went surfin(dont ask where or why)

but from the time i got to a certain page about 10 seconds passed and i had 2 fully installed "antispyware" programs with about 50 more files randomly spread around my c drive
the spyware was "alpha(somethin)" program
and bunch of others
among that i had my task manager disabled by it and messed up my whole system in general.

so lesson learned for me and a note for everybody else to get some kind of protection.
it wouldnt affect dialup people as much as hi speed tho
but ..even if u not doin any suspicious stuff, get a frikkin firewall or use one that comes with windows xp

spybot is free by the way and theres alot of free firewalls and antiviruses online to choose from

you should setup and configure three functions to keep your microsoft machine secure.

firewall
automatic updates
antivirus

ps. this will not protect you against phishing attacks

I use the hardware firewall built into my router, I keep all software firewalls disabled. I use Nod32 antivirus, and firefox. I've never had a problem.

I have found that the best Anti-Virus program is absolutely FREE!
Go to grisoft.com and download their free version os AVG. Make sure you enable "automatic updates". This one is so awesome that I have donated $20.00 to their cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom